I'm beginning to like Lowes....

Greg Cook

I went to return 2 ceramic sinks for my re-model project, and order 4 cast iron ones we like better. I unloaded the sinks and rolled them into the customer service area, where a few people were already waiting. As I stood in line, I glanced down the open isle towards the tool department. I could see something that looked like a DC bag sticking up in the air... Hmmmmm I better check this out! The folks ahead of me in line said they'd watch my sinks while I trotted to the tools. Sure enough...A Delta 50-760 1 1/2hp, dual hose connector, 1 micron felt bag, floor model DC was just sitting there with a price of $296 ($349 - 15% tool sale now on). However, upon not even close examination...I noticed there was a big paper sign on it 50% OFF Last Marked Price! :eek::eek:

Man, I whipped that thing back to the customer service area, got my refund and headed for the cashier...a lead in the tool department. He was ringing up the sale when he stopped and said...sorry, this 50% Off sign says for tool belts...DC is $296. :eek::doh::huh: I begged, pleaded, was ready to fall on the sword, but he wouldn't budge (was very apologetic, though). I was going to take it back (too much) and another lady employee walked along. When we got near the tool department, a guy I recognized asked what the problem was. I explained the whole situation, and he said..."Nope, the 50% off is good on that"! We all walked over to the cashier and the guy explained that the tool manager, Jim, had told him to mark it 50% off, and the discount was good.

Soooo for $148 I got a bit dusty, but brand new, Delta 50-760 DC!

I really wanted to upgrade from my Delta AP400, and this will work for me...for now.

BTW, the guy at Lowes that helped me with this, is the same one that helped me get the last $165 Unifence they had.

I put it on my TS, and I like it.

Hmmmm wonder if my neighbor wants a good deal on an AP400 dust collector.... :huh:

Last edited:
Maybe I need to come up there and do some tool shopping with you. :huh: :D :thumb:

Cool, nice gloat. Persistance pays and it looks like you found someone pretty helpful at Lowes....ya better send him a gift card or something for helping you out.

Thanks, guys...

Along with the Dewalt DW616 fixed/plunge set for $115 at Sears and the Delta 28-276 14" band saw that was on a flash time sale at Amazon for $215/free delivery, it was a pretty good week. The bandsaw is scheduled for delivery on the 13th. :D

Now I need to sell some stuff to pay for all of them....:huh::dunno::doh:

:rofl:

Congrats, Greg...great price. Were you wearing a mask when you held up the store? :p

You ended up with enough change left over to get a cartridge filter, should you decide you want one. :thumb: (I sure like my Wynn filter, but I only had 30 micron bags to compare it to.)

Steve,

Frank's refering to Eagle Hardware & Garden...started by the retired chairman/CEO of Pay & Pak....one of the pioneers in the home improvement store history. Both Washington based companies. Eagle was a good place to shop, as I have found at Lowes. I don't know of any problems with the Lowes/Eagle merge...maybe Frank will fill us in.

Vaughn,

Where did your get your canister filter? Which model DC do you have? I wonder if they have one for the 50-760? Hmmmmm. :huh:

The AP400 had a 30 micron filter...this one is 1! I hope to see a difference, but again, I gotta keep the hose plugged in and DC switched on....right?:dunno:

Mask? Oh yeah....

View attachment 7005

Told them my name was Stu....

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Greg, the filter is better than the bag, as the bag WILL cake up, and then you loose your airflow, but I'm sure the filter can wait a month or two.

How are you liking the Triton Powered Respirator? (TPR)

I use mine all the time, I am thinking of getting a second battery, as I seem to forget to plug the darn thing in....:rolleyes:

I de-dust the Dungeon about once a month, I open the hatch, turn on the exhaust fan, turn on the air filter, and the cyclone, with all the gates open, and then I walk around with the air hose off the compressor and spray everything! I wear the TPR, and my coveralls while doing this, I then beat a hasty retreat and let everything run for 30 minutes or so, really makes this nasty jog a LOT nice to do, with the TPR.

Cheers!

Steve,

Frank's refering to Eagle Hardware & Garden...started by the retired chairman/CEO of Pay & Pak....one of the pioneers in the home improvement store history. Both Washington based companies. Eagle was a good place to shop, as I have found at Lowes. I don't know of any problems with the Lowes/Eagle merge...maybe Frank will fill us in.
I was living in Kirkland Washington at the time of the merger and was a regular customer at Eagle visiting most Saturday mornings. I noticed an immediate decline in customer service, in the quality of the tools that they stocked, in the range of screws and bolts that were carried, etc, etc, etc. :( I continued to shop there for about 6 months (but not nearly as often) then gave up altogether. I checked back about six nmonths later and things had not improved and, since then, have not been in a Lowes store anywhere. Lowes has no branches yet in Canada :) but, I am sorry :( to say that they soon will.

Stu,

The TPR is great! I have used it in the shop and in my tile removal in the bathrooms. There is only one small problem.....

The TPR will not filter out fumes, paint etc. I used to wear the battery back/fan/filter/air input unit so it was on my back side... I was in the shop after a fish dinner.... Well, the fish was a little oily, and.....:eek:

Have you ever flipped the face shield so fast you almost ripped it off your face?

I wear the unit so it's on my side now...

Stu,

The TPR is great! I have used it in the shop and in my tile removal in the bathrooms. There is only one small problem.....

The TPR will not filter out fumes, paint etc. I used to wear the battery back/fan/filter/air input unit so it was on my back side... I was in the shop after a fish dinner.... Well, the fish was a little oily, and.....:eek:

Have you ever flipped the face shield so fast you almost ripped it off your face?

I wear the unit so it's on my side now...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, that made me laugh!!

Strategic placement of the inlet IS important........:rolleyes: :D

Oh, there is a "Welding" set of filters for the unit, they would take care of some more nasty stuff than dust, but really, when you get into the nasty stuff, you really do need a specific respirator and cartridges.

Cheers!

Vaughn,

Where did your get your canister filter? Which model DC do you have? I wonder if they have one for the 50-760? Hmmmmm. :huh:...
I'll bet they do. Check here:

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

I have the $91 paper version. It has better specs than the polyester model, but isn't designed to be quite as durable. I figure my usage at this point it not heavy enough to warrant the polyester filter. I should still be able to get years of service out of it. By the time I wear my paper one out, I hope to have a bigger shop and a cyclone. ;)