American Girl doll beds

Michael Tulak

When some friends of mine asked me to make some American Girl doll beds for their girls I began to get excited thinking "Hmm, I could turn some fancy bedposts oh and maybe even do a carving of a hummingbird or a rose on the headboard!" Then I remembered, "Sigh, I don't own a lathe or even know how to carve:doh:" Oh well, they did say they wanted something simple anyway. So I came up with these,

Dolls bed.jpgDoll Bed.jpgDoll Beds.jpg

I routed a mortise in the bedposts to insert the head and footboards into. The long bed rails are butt joined with dowels. It was kinda annoying gluing all those slats in place, you know keeping everything parallel and square and trying not to get glue everywhere;) The beds are 25" long and 16" wide, just perfect for dolls, cats, and some newborns:)

Nice job, Michael. :thumb: For the next set, you might be able to find one of our Canadian members who'd be willing to turn a few bedposts for you for the cost of postage. I know there are members here in the US who'd do that, but if you could keep it in Canada the postage would be less expensive.

If you want a business, American Girl Dolls have conventions that people travel to. I know a hotel that was looking for doll beds for patrons (and their daughters and dolls) that were booked in their hotel to attend a local convention.