suggestions for a wounded warrior project

larry merlau

i was asked to make something for the Wounded Warrior's i have helped in Mississippi before by one of the sponsors.. so am asking for some ideas of what would be a nice project that i can make and not take forever to build.. as of right now the ones that have shown up have all been male.

I'd imagine a nice box, maybe with some kind of lazered thing on the top might be nice. Who doesn't need a nice little box to keep things in?

Since they were wounded, I assume they have received a purple heart?
There is a wood called purple heart and when polished on a lathe and you get it warm/hot through a friction finish it really gets purple.
Might be nice to incorporate that into your project, whatever you decide.
If it is a lidded box maybe Pete could laser cut actual purple hearts out and the same cut on the lid so it could be glued in. Just a thought.

I have turned some canes and walking sticks. There are many of our wounded veterans who need a little help while walking. I always put a rubber tip on the business end. A beautiful piece of wood with an appropriately sized and shaped handle makes for a nice gift to those who need it.

A steady rest is makes the job a lot easier. I use my Sorby bowl steady behind the blank and it works just fine.

i wondered about the flag cases,, was going to ask about that so thanks jim for clearing it up.. the cane idea is one that i have seen them use for sure and some of them have some pretty elaborate ones.. i need something flat we dont do round:) as in spinny stuff.. was thinking this am about a clock like the one rennie made that could have a lazer job on the back saying thanks and it would be something that they could look at each day knowing that there are those of us who are very thankful for there sacrifices..

Good point Jim.
I should of been more clear. The one I made for my son who is in the wounded warrior project holds the flag that flew over his base in Iraq and also holds his medals and beret.

FYI - Cannot laser Purple Heart. Cannot cut it and cannot even engrave it.

Laser just does not touch it. Must have a lot to do with all the resin that is in the wood.