no knots? or ok knots

I would do it if it fits in with the look of the project. I did it on my walnut dressers with the rails on the front. Didn't have much walnut left and there was the beginnings of a knot. It just so happened I could center it and with a little re-sawing I had enough for both dressers.
101.jpg

would you put a board with tight knots or knot in a dresser top? and reason for your answer:)

Yeah, I would...unless the piece is 'formal.' For 'everyday' use, I think the knots are part of the character, and can actually add interest to the piece.

At a previous house we owned, I build an entire kitchen of Alder, and there were probably eight or ten knots included in the door panels and drawer fronts. The knots in Alder are typically very dark, and I actually accented them by sealing them with black-dyed epoxy.

We got many compliments on that cabinetry, and it was also very prominently displayed in the Realtor's photo montage when we listed the house for sale.

Lots of variables there. What will be on the top of the dresser? If it is some sort of cover, won't matter. Species? Some woods are known for knots. Featured or trying to hide it? Surrounding grain? Picture?

cherry lumber, possible top scarf but these days the younger generation just put things on top of the wood no protection. the rest of the dresser has no knots but the drawer frnts have some small imperfections.

I use knots. There are some very interesting patterns surrounding knots. As stated, it would have to visually fit the piece.

C0D Pegs (4).jpg

Last edited:
Tough call. Who is the dresser for, where is it going to be placed (home/office/cabin?) & what are the new owner's feelings?
Personally, I don't "mind" knots on informal furniture such as pine, providing it's an "occasional" knot (it's easily overdone), but would not want it on a more formal piece, particularly if the dresser is made from quality wood. If the rest of the piece is without knots, then unless there is a "special" reason for having a knot, then I would pass on it. My .02.

Just saw your last post after I posted my comments. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid knots as indicated by the cut line on board 2A, yet the bottom board has a small knot in it. Are you trying to make use of this board to avoid having to get another? If every thing else is consistently knot free, then my inclination would be to avoid using a board with a knot. Again, I'm the apprentice here, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
actually those drwr frnts all have either sap streaks or pin knots.. and i had went threw a bunch of wood already to get the top panel as it is.. like isaid earlier i need t get this picked over lumber out of here and get in a fresh batch..

actually those drwr frnts all have either sap streaks or pin knots.. and i had went threw a bunch of wood already to get the top panel as it is.. like isaid earlier i need t get this picked over lumber out of here and get in a fresh batch..

Sounds like you are good to go. Knots are in! :thumb:

This thread came to mind while I was just out working on some side panels for a current project out of cherry. Defects? Character? Who's to say?

Defects-Character (1).jpgDefects-Character (2).jpgDefects-Character (3).jpgDefects-Character (4).jpgDefects-Character (5).jpgDefects-Character (6).jpgDefects-Character (7).jpgDefects-Character (8).jpg

None of these are very large but, they are present throughout the material and add to the "Hey, I'm made out of wood" feel that I prefer. There are times when such a mark or bit of odd figure would appear in a position that I do not like. In those cases I use other material. Its kind of like 'distressing'; a little is OK, too much is not. Its getting to know where the line is. Sometimes I hit it, sometimes I trip over it :dunno:

Thats a no brainer as I would use it!

i went and wetted down the new board with DNA and it appears to be lighter than the other two but they have had suntan time,, like 6 months of it, tried to lightly sand them to see if the new one would blend in it looks sorta ok in the picture but i am afraid i am going to have to tone it in ????

This thread came to mind while I was just out working on some side panels for a current project out of cherry. Defects? Character? Who's to say?

None of these are very large but, they are present throughout the material and add to the "Hey, I'm made out of wood" feel that I prefer. There are times when such a mark or bit of odd figure would appear in a position that I do not like. In those cases I use other material. Its kind of like 'distressing'; a little is OK, too much is not. Its getting to know where the line is. Sometimes I hit it, sometimes I trip over it :dunno:

well glen you showed me one place where you surprised me,, that one rail with the grain running cross wise or the short way, is something have done my best ot avoid in the past years and see you used it?? maybe i have been to hard myslef:) i havnt glued this panel yet i just cant get comfy with it yet.. if i get ti to blend with sun tan than i will go with it..

pictures as requested:
View attachment 80019

Now that you show the photos, put me in the "use it" camp, Larry. That is a very tight knot, and some interesting grain, and it goes with the other pieces, as far as I can tell. Now, if you still aren't sure, then what I would suggest is rotate that 180 degrees, which puts the knot on the back quarter of the top, which will be much less visible, especially if it is a taller dresser.

well glen you showed me one place where you surprised me,, that one rail with the grain running cross wise or the short way, is something have done my best ot avoid in the past years and see you used it??

Defects? Character? Who's to say?

View attachment 80029

Is this the one you mean, Larry? photo #6 from Glenn's post? If so, I'm with you. That rail looks odd to me. Now Glenn has proven himself over and over again on this forum :thumb: and that photo is quite the closeup. Got any photos of the completed piece? Or just more zoomed out?

...art

well glen you showed me one place where you surprised me,, that one rail with the grain running cross wise or the short way, is something have done my best ot avoid in the past years and see you used it??

Yes, I normally try to avoid that too. Yes, the "extremem close-up" accentuates the negative which I hope is not quite so negative when seen from a bit further back :crossed:.

Is this the one you mean, Larry? photo #6 from Glenn's post? If so, I'm with you. That rail looks odd to me. Now Glenn has proven himself over and over again on this forum :thumb: and that photo is quite the closeup. Got any photos of the completed piece? Or just more zoomed out?

Here's a shot of the whole side assembly. I did stray from the usual tighter, straighter grained material I usually stick to for rails and stiles. It may grow to haunt me but, this piece is for my own living room and I get experimental when things aren't going to leave home :eek:. The area we are discussing is the junction just right of center, just above the bottom rail.

Figure Study.jpg

The top rail is a real stretch away from my usual choices but, I am not as daring as it may seem. The cabinet is not quite 30" tall and there is a 3" overhang of the top on each side. The view is angled down from almost anyone's viewpoint and it was from this angle that I chose the parts and orientations.

Last edited: