A little research info to pass on.

Jim Burr

A few months ago, Brent and I tried a couple experiments for smoking. We both have MES (http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-2...8&sr=8-1&keywords=masterbuilt+smoker+electric) as well as A-Maz-N (http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8) smokers.
First, the temp in mine was having a hard time making anything over 250* and that was a stretch! What we found was that any foil, be it a drip pan or a rack covered in foil, would reflect the temp back down toward the coil. Regardless of the side of the foil used (aluminum foil has different finishes per side)...it's a big deterrent to heating the top rack! As small a pan as needed or a foil sheet works well.
Next there were a few problems getting my Amazn fired up. Did several tests over the holidays and found that if I load it...lately 1-1/2 slots, and fire it, it would die shortly. A nice solution is to load and tamp and directed. Then while the MES is heating up, The Amazn stays in the smoker to evaporate any moisture...and the pellets do absorb it, that may have collected. Pull it out with tongs, MAPP gas for 30 sec and let it burn. After a good flame for about 1 minute, I blow it out and put it back in the MES with tongs. Add the beef/pork/chicken stuff and water pan if you use it. TBS maintains very very well! Did marinated chicken breasts with bacon on top for 2 hours last night...perfection!
Hope this helps someone...sure helped me!!

Great tips Jim! Thanks!

I generally do about a 45 minute preheat with the amazn loaded up with pellets. I just use a little harbor freight butane torch though, but the MAPP is like more power, eh?

Thanks Jim. I have had the same problem keeping my Amazn going. I thought it was a factor of where it was located in the smoker i.e. not enough draft, so tried moving it around, which didn't seem to do much. Where do you guys locate your Amazns? Never thought about moisture content of the pellets. I wonder if I nuke them in the microwave for a couple of cycles at a minute or so if that would dry them out too.

On the smoke yesterday, only used 3 chicken breasts so I loaded the right side of the top rack, a small foil catch on the second rack since there was bacon (that stuff is messy but essential!!) directly underneath the chicken on the right side and the smoker on the left side of the third rack. The holder rack on the bottom can also be used for the smoker. Ted...I haven't seen a draft problem yet, but hear it can happen; I won't have a problem drilling a couple 3/8" holes in the topside wall if it proves to be an issue.

One trick I use with just a cast iron smoke bin is to get a small charcoal fire going first and then top coat it with wood chips or sawdust. That gives it enough of a firebase to keep rolling. I wonder if something like that would work with the amz or not?

One trick I use with just a cast iron smoke bin is to get a small charcoal fire going first and then top coat it with wood chips or sawdust. That gives it enough of a firebase to keep rolling. I wonder if something like that would work with the amz or not?

A couple of hot coal chunks couldn't hurt, but once you get a good coal going with the pellets, they generally keep going.

The cast iron firebox would be a good option if someone didn't have the amazn, that's for sure.

A couple of hot coal chunks couldn't hurt, but once you get a good coal going with the pellets, they generally keep going.

The cast iron firebox would be a good option if someone didn't have the amazn, that's for sure.

Yeah, I only use it to get the party started. You're right that after that our pretty self sustaining..