An Interesting Bench in the Federal Style.

Dave Richards

XXX_sw01651.jpg

linky

Its definitely a cool piece (and the more federal work I see the more I grow to like the style at least the later period, its refreshingly cleaner than some of the baroque monstrosities that preceded it but still has enough fancy doodahs to give me my complexity fix). There are a handful of design elements I'd want to tweak if I was starting from scratch (that stringer across the front for starters, with proper victorian posture it would be fine, but with the slack jawed slouched over and leg under habits we have today...).

Wow, that's impressive work. Imagine getting 10 legs and feet to hit the floor at the same time.

I wonder if its light enough it would flex to absorb minor deviations in leg length? Eyeballing it I suspect that that would be the case.

Floors weren't as level then as they are now either, just walk through any old enough house and they're dished in the middle of the halls/rooms so's the water from the leaky roof could run out away from the walls (its my story and I'm sticking to it).

...I wonder if its light enough it would flex to absorb minor deviations in leg length? Eyeballing it I suspect that that would be the case.

Floors weren't as level then as they are now either, just walk through any old enough house and they're dished in the middle of the halls/rooms so's the water from the leaky roof could run out away from the walls (its my story and I'm sticking to it).

I was thinking the same thing on both points. ;)