Music - DAW Software

A friend on another forum also has Pro Tools, but likes Digital Performer better: http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/body.html/
This is getting tough, and downright silly for a guy who can't even program the DVR and has little hope of being a competent guitar player. Aaah the joy of over thinking everything:doh:

Oof, 499$ ?

I'd say get your feet wet with Reaper first and then determine what extra features you might need/want, and then shop for one of the more expensive pro type software setups.

One thing I don't think has been said is that I think it's much more important to have a dedicated machine set aside for the DAW.

This machine does not get anything installed on it except your DAW. You'd be better of if it never got connected to the internet. Certainly no random web surfing on it.

Performance is the name of the game for a DAW, so ram + #cpu's + Speed are key.

I'd rather put my money into the hardware first, then upgrade the DAW software later.

I have to agree with Brent's approach, nothing more frustrating than waiting for screens to update and music to buffer. I've cleaned about all the other software off my studio pc and dedicated it to just music, has made it a real pleasure to work without having all the other distractions and lack of resources.

Thanks for that link Brent. I'm trying to figure out if my old laptop can be resurrected as a dedicated music machine or if its too old. I stopped using it because it slowed to a crawl, so will try a system restore to see if it springs to life again. Looks like the high end DAW systems need windows 7 though and it's running XP. I also have an one year old ipad that isn't getting much use and maybe that would work.