More Chisel Drawer Storage

glenn bradley

I try to manage my workflow but, sooner or later I end up with something in the clamps -and- in a spot that is right in the middle of anything else I happen to want to do. I have been known to move such glue-ups into the house but, I'm trying to get a little more civilized :rolleyes:. So, finding myself at a stand still on the current project, I look around for something that I can do.

My chisels have been longing for a home on the inside of the door to my plane till. Since I haven't built a plane till yet, there is no door to hang on the inside of. Therefor; chisel drawer. The chisel drawer has been through a few morphings and this is just the latest. A trip to the scrap bin and some thin ply from the back of a salvaged TV stand yields a sliding tray which increases the holding power of the chisel drawer by six . . . I gotta get around to that plane till/tool chest :eek:.

Chisel Drawer Sliding Tray (1).jpgChisel Drawer Sliding Tray (2).jpgChisel Drawer Sliding Tray (3).jpgChisel Drawer Sliding Tray (4).jpg

I like that idea Glenn. Mine stick on a magnetic bar above one of my work benches. I sometimes nick the edges when taking them down or putting them back up. I try to keep the plastic tips on the chisels but usually end up misplacing one or two. Of I move some stuff around I can free up a drawer. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

How do you like the Marples ? I find that they take an good edge but dull fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about Narex chisels and have been thinking about buying a few to try

I like that idea Glenn. Mine stick on a magnetic bar above one of my work benches. I sometimes nick the edges when taking them down or putting them back up. I try to keep the plastic tips on the chisels but usually end up misplacing one or two. Of I move some stuff around I can free up a drawer. Thanks for the tip :thumb:

How do you like the Marples ? I find that they take an good edge but dull fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about Narex chisels and have been thinking about buying a few to try

Those Marples are about 9 years old (except the 1/8" which is an Irwin) and seem to do OK. You are right about them needing frequent touch-ups if I am doing mallet work, not so much for hand work. I have a Worksharp that I just set on the end of the bench if I am going to be doing any serious chisel work. That way I can retouch the edge is a couple seconds and go right back to work. The Lee Valley hold an edge a bit better and the PM-V11's really hang in there.

P.s. I used to use a magnet bar in the drawer instead of dividers but, switched to the dividers for the reasons you mention ;-)

Last edited:
So you're the guy that keeps stealing the plastic tips for my chisels. I was wondering where they would turn up. Really I think my shop is like a dryer that loses socks, but tools instead. ;)

The drawers look good. :thumb:

ok glenn you thought you slipped it by but you didnt:) the top drawer with the brown handled chisels shows thay even you make miscuts you got a grove and nothing in it:)

glad i am not alone..nice use of space..

ok glenn you thought you slipped it by but you didnt:) the top drawer with the brown handled chisels shows thay even you make miscuts you got a grove and nothing in it:)

That is ABSOLUTELY what that is; a mistake. I ran one of the sides through with the wrong side against the fence while cutting the bottom groove. I decided to do it to the other side as well so they would serve as a reminder to me every time I reached for a chisel. Even when we are making quickie fixtures out of scrap, we still need to be diligent :D

Nice setup, certainly better than rolling around loose (like I have.. sigh)!

My experience with them has been pretty good - the tip on a couple was a bit prone to chipping until I ground the first ~1/8" inch off. The smaller mortise chisels especially had that problem but once I got past the initial break in they've behaved quite well. I use a couple of the smaller bevel edge chisels as straight carving chisels and they hone up quite nice enough for that. I don't expect that they compare to the PM-V11 though :D