No Joiner ..Another Solution ?

Mike Turner

Ok I have a heavy piece of oak cut into 2 pieces that I was just going to make a nice set of V blocks for a jig. I planed it and made the v block but it is cupped. It'd be good to have a joiner but dont have access to one. I should just scrap this wood and get more but I would like to use it...Really hard pretty oak......No joiner,dont even have a hand plane... what do I do? These 2 pieces dont have to be perfect but close would be good..

I agree a planer sled would joint for you but, you say these are v blocks so I assume not too large? Stick some sandpaper to a known flat surface like your tablesaw or the kitchen counter :)saythat: ) and sand away. Once you have a known reference surface you can plane parallel to that.

Mike, just a guess as to your situation, but if the base of the block is cupped yet the V-Block is true, then you could place a true cylinder (bar, pipe, dowel - anything on hand that is large enough in dia. to protrude beyond the "V") into the "V". Then place the V-Block with the cylinder against the fence of your table saw with a side adjacent to "V" down on the table, then skim cut the cupped side to establish the base parallel to the "V". Then sand the newly sawn base using the table saw. Just a thought.