Cherry Bookcase

Built this for a friend here lately. I really didn't like how it was turning out, so I overlaid the legs and stuff with thin sap filled pieces. Looks more like something I would build now. Turned the shelf supports out of brass to go with the color scheme. Had my friends wife come and take a few good pics. Oh the side panels are curly maple.

BBC 11.jpg

BBC 12.jpg

BBC 13.jpg

BBC 14.jpg

BBC 15.jpg

very nice steve,, that new state job must have been teaching you alot:) how did you support the shelves? looks like pins but dont see any holes? well done bud!!!
also how did you finish it?

Larry 5 holes per area of each shelf. If you look at the last pic in first post you can see them in the back. Her software must have taken the black dots out every where else. Strange I never noticed.

Bob, each 2 boards in the back are book matched. I marked them like this so I wouldn't loose track of each.

DSCN5262.jpg

Oh sorry again, wipe on poly. If I remember 6 coats on the flats for wear protection and 4 on sides. I did a test piece and anymore than 6 and it started to look plastic. Mixed minwax semi-gloss and mineral spirits to make my own. Only last 2 were semi others were gloss as to not build up the flateners in the semi.

Oh sorry again, wipe on poly. If I remember 6 coats on the flats for wear protection and 4 on sides. I did a test piece and anymore than 6 and it started to look plastic. Mixed minwax semi-gloss and mineral spirits to make my own. Only last 2 were semi others were gloss as to not build up the flateners in the semi.

Smart move steve!!! the flattners do build up in my opinon as well.. but there is a trick to use one can and get the effects your after.. the white stufff you see in the bottom of the can before stirring is the flatners, so if you use the clear stuff its not got flattners and then to flatten just stir and use it stirred..

Very nice Steve. One of better bookcases that I have ever seen. I especially like the restrained use of figure. Just enough to accent the piece and not overwhelm the effect.

Doh! I apparently exited without posting my entry yesterday!?! Classic lines on that one Steve. The curly panels look right at home nestled in that cherry. Very well done.