Hello!!!

Brent Aukes

I have been woodworking with power tools for 20+ years off and on, mostly for furniture for the family. I also, fresh out of college, spent a fair amount of time at the flea markets and antique shops picking up some stuff as it made sense. Call me a part time rust hunter I guess. When we started a family, I did less of this and boxed those tools up those handtools, mostly planes, for most of 20 years and 3 moves. Last year I dug out the boxes to decide a path of keep or sell for my old planes. I sold a couple planes at that time and soon came to regret the decision so deciced that I should finally get about restoring and using them. The bug rebit me so to speak. So, I have been lurking the forums to learn restoration technique and have built my heavy bench for handwork. I have not done a lot of handwork outside of leveling my bench build this past summer. The rust hunting has been good though, and it is back with a vengeance for sure.

I refurbed 15 planes, 2 woodworking bench vises, and 3 backsaws this summer. I have many more to do.

I am liking this site and will perhaps post some restores and whatnot as I go forward. For now, saying hello as a new registrant. Glad to be here.

Welcome to the Family, Brent! :wave:

You'll find a lot of fine folks here to help in any way. I'm a power tool junkie myself, but there are plenty of neanderthals around here!

Thanks and some images of what I am up to

Thanks for the warm welcomes. If this is the wrong place for this post, I apologize.

Here are a few pics. showing some of the past year's work and some projects left to do. There are a bunch more projects but this is a taste of what I am up to. The workbench is a mix hand and power tool tool work. The bench top was trued with hand planes. The pictured planes on the bench are a mixed bag but Stanley has been my first love. The miter box backsaw is Disston. The other 2 backsaws are 2nd line Disston with Jackson stamps. I will have to learn the art of saw sharpening.

I will admit that I currently am deeper in planes than I ever planned to be but these have always been my favorite. The real goal is to become a better user and I am working to incorporate them into my woodworking. I do enjoy the refurb side a lot, too.

I do electrolysis on most everything. If a plane is too crusty, I may strip and paint, but most are in their original jappanning when I am done. Handles are case by case as a lot of them tend to need repairs as well. I do like to keep some of the old patination in my cleaning when feasible. Enjoy...

new workbench build and a bunch of my planes.

2 Jackson backsaws cleaned but not sharp, a work in progress

Bargain day at the antique shop. This was one purchase. This bunch probably belongs in the gloat posts somewhere but that is another story.

Carriage makers plane after cleanup. Part of the above lot

projects...projects...projects...

Everyone needs one of these...Right??? No joking though, this thing will drill some serious holes in steel. (if I stay in the game)

Sargent 410 type 2 after tote repair and cleaning (also from earlier lot of 10). This has a similar footprint to a Stanley 4 1/2.

Many apologies for the poor pictures. I fear that I am no photographer. This tells a little of my tale anyway.

Brent

Welcome aboard, Brent. :wave:

It's 'plane' to see that you've been bitten by the rust collecting bug in a big way. :thumb: Nice collections of toys.