Force majeure

Rob Keeble

Given I hail from another continent, I wanted to ask you all if this is a term most North Americans are familiar with both in concept and meaning?
I have a need to write some wording that will be commonly understood hopefully by supposedly small business people.
I know in executive circles in NA it definitely is understood but what about at the micro business level?
Any help much appreciated, my local friends are not able to comment.

sent from s4

Yes, it is a common expression used in legal documents, at least those that I've seen. It basically relieves involved parties of noncompliance to contracts, etc, due to "Acts of God", or other actions beyond the normal control either party. At least that is my understanding of its intent.

If they are reasonably well read then yes. If not then no. I'd say more likely than not no for your average small business owner in NA. At the very least I'd probably footnote it.

I'll second Ryan and Bob's comments. While a certain percentage of business owners are probably familiar with the term, it's always better to use a simpler word or phrase if one exists. I write software manuals intended for system managers and IT geeks, but I still try to shoot for about an 8th grade reading comprehension level. One of my maxims in my work is to never use a 25-cent word when a 10-cent word will do. ;)

I'll second Ryan and Bob's comments. While a certain percentage of business owners are probably familiar with the term, it's always better to use a simpler word or phrase if one exists. I write software manuals intended for system managers and IT geeks, but I still try to shoot for about an 8th grade reading comprehension level. One of my maxims in my work is to never use a 25-cent word when a 10-cent word will do. ;)

so thats why i can understand you so well your talk is cheap:)

It's a common term on large-scale commercial construction contracts, but not something I'd put in a 1-page contract for a woodworking project or small renovation project. What's the intended use?

I will go with the KISS principle.

If you need to ask the question - it has already been answered - don't do it.

Is the document meant to show off the writers ability to use high level vocabulary - OR - is the document meant to convey easy to understand information?

Personally, I believe the highest level in the skill of the writer is to have the ability to convey a complex thought with nothing more that 5 cent words.

Thanks all for your input on this topic. I did know the answer kind of before i asked the question. But what had me thinking about it was exactly being concise and keeping things short. The English language was developed with words that mean whole sentences or paragraphs for that purpose. There is a conflict between using a correct word and trying to fit an explanation into 150 characters which is what it would seem to me is all our universe can digest lately.
I think its sad we regressing but hey on a ordinary day i feel like an alien from outer space so who the heck am i to say.

On a related point though i do think we could do with teaching this word in school but i guess there would be all sorts of conflict given it refers to "acts of god" and that would be an issue for the non believers lol. Then of course those that think one should get gift cards from the government when you have a power outage should probably be given a card with the explanation of the term on it instead but then they would have to read it so i guess its back to square one. lol

For my needs i will revert to KISS and simple terms. Thanks.
I think i got to go back to school again. :( not quiet sure how i am going to survive what doctors tell me i have to expect to live to. My 19 year old son seriously thinks we should learn the "minions language" would be funny if he was not serious. I just shook my head. Despite enjoying the movie and the animation.

I will go with the KISS principle.

If you need to ask the question - it has already been answered - don't do it.

Is the document meant to show off the writers ability to use high level vocabulary - OR - is the document meant to convey easy to understand information?

Personally, I believe the highest level in the skill of the writer is to have the ability to convey a complex thought with nothing more that 5 cent words.
:thumb:

...I believe the highest level in the skill of the writer is to have the ability to convey a complex thought with nothing more that 5 cent words.
That, in a nutshell, describes my job perfectly. :thumb:

When I was tech-writing - mainly owners' manuals and maintenance procedures - we had to keep the literature at the seventh grade level. You wouldn't believe how hard writing down to that can be for an engineer.

Also applies to preaching. And the 7th grade level is max, as we were taught. And it is hard for am educated person to pull that off. People have no idea.........

I remember when I was in College and taking Literature.

A novel tells a story

Short story tells the same story with fewer words

Poetry tells the same story with the least number of words possible.

Great poets - and true artists with words.

Metaphor's, similes, and analogies go a long way in painting a picture in the mind.

It is a skill I do NOT have.