Stanley #1 - not mine

A fellow in our woodworkers' guild has one and I know he spent less than $1000 on his - he's a tight-wad. But, the #1 is an absolute beauty. Wish we had one in our collection . . . lowest number now is a #2.

Someone must have really, really wanted this one.

That is cool with the box. I have a couple #1's and they are essentially useless except for a collection or in a very tight, important spot that can not be done with any other tool. the condition of the plane looks great and at $5,200 I think mine are going into "cold storage".

I got a chance to hold one of those little guys the other day. Guy had it listed at$1350. Neat little plane, but I don't really see a need to have one other than to round out a collection. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one! Maybe since Joe has a couple, he can just send one to me:D

I have watched a few #1's on EBay for entertainment and they just keep getting higher and higher. I have noticed the same thing with many old tools. Watch chisels prices sometimes. Especially Stanley 750's or 740's. Price just spiraling up.

Certain used parts for old Delta machines. Unisaw and Shaper dust doors going up. The lamps off the scroll and band saws. Unisaw goose egg motor covers are up to $300 or close now. Two years ago we were amazed at $120 prices.

I am not sure what his happening or if it will last but I suspect that people are starting to "Collect" old wood working machiens now. Hand tools have been collected for many years.

Once I get these last two machines in my shop restored and running I have to admit I am tempted to invest in a few of these items. Watching EBay and if the trend holds there are some good returns on your investment to be made!

A friend of mine is an avid collector of hand tools and I think he has almost all of them except the #1, which I suggested I might get for him and his reply was "do you know how much they are?" :eek: well, I guess he was right, maybe if I win the lottery :rofl: I could afford one. I didn't realize how rare and expensive they are.

Nice looking #1

I have a #2 type 13, and probably will never obtain a #1
Unless I find one in an old barn somewhere

Nice looking #1

I have a #2 type 13, and probably will never obtain a #1
Unless I find one in an old barn somewhere

Steve,

I wouldn't give up hope. Isn't this the usual course of things: First, people buy things for what they are, then some start collecting them, then, because there's money to be made, the speculators come in, and drive prices through the roof. Then the market crashes. You may get one for cheap post-crash! ;)

Believe it or not, the same thing happened with tulips... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Thanks,

Bill