Clickity click drill press

Dave Trask

Good Morning All !

Last week purchased a Delta 16-1/2" Drill Press w/ Laser…Model: 17-950L
from Lowe’s during their 15% off sale. I put the drill press together with no problems and it ran great all weekend the temperature was mid to high 60's

This week it turned really cold in our area mid to low 30‘s.I went up to my shop to start working on my router table project, fired up the kerosene heaters.

When switched the drill press on and noticed that the motor capacitor clicked several times before getting up to speed, once it got up to speed, no more clicking even when restarted a few minutes later, but if it sat awhile it would start the same thing again, as many as five clicks.

Have any of you fellas noticed this with your drill presses? or do you think the drill has a problem? ...I am hoping it was just the cold weather.

First, welcome to the Family!! :thumb: :wave:

and congrats on the new DP :clap:

IK would say that the cold is the most likely culprit, could be the belt is really stiff and cold, which would put a lot of stress on the motor starting up.

Try this, with is still cold, remove the belt, and see if you still have the clickity click start up.

If you do, then it is certainly the motor, but if when things warm up, it is OK then it is still most likely just the cold. Also, "NEW" tools can sometimes be a bit "Tight", after a bit of use, things may loosen up enough that even in the cold, it will not do this.

If there is no problem when the belt is off, then it is just a cold, stiff belt. One option that you do have is to put a link belt on the DP, these are really nice, and they run smooth, and will not get a set in them from the cold, or just old age.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the family!! :D

Thanks for the welcome Stuart,

Good suggestion about removing the belt and starting it up.
I hope to make it up to the shop one day this week and I will
give that a try. I think another thing that didn’t help was it is set
for 3000 rpm..

I’m going to remove the belt as you suggested to see if it still has the multiple clicking noises, while I’m at it I’m going to change the speed to about 1800 rpms, loosen up on the belt a little, and check the voltage at the socket..

Thanks for your quick response, you all are a great bunch of guys, I really enjoy this forum.

I will let you know how I made out…. :thumb:

Dave

Enclosed motor?

Possibly the centrifugal switch is doing the clicking.

Enclosed motor?
Possibly the centrifugal switch is doing the clicking.

Well ....I'm not sure if it is an enclosed motor.
How can I tell? The motor Is not inclosed in a cabinet.
To me an enclosed motor is a semi sealed motor which is constructed to be water proof made for outside use.
But ,I am thinking industrial pump motors.

My motor has a big capacitor hanging on the side of the motor.

Last edited:
Well ....I'm not sure if it is an enclosed motor.
How can I tell? The motor Is not inclosed in a cabinet.
To me an enclosed motor is a semi sealed motor which is constructed to be water proof made for outside use.
But ,I am thinking industrial pump motors.

My motor has a big capacitor hanging on the side of the motor.

If the motor housing at one end has slots that look like they are for ventilation, that is probably a TEFC motor. (totaly enclosed fan cooled) DAMHIK :eek: Let's just say, I learned that after moving here, to FW. Enneyhow, take the slotted end off and expose a few moving parts inside. That is your centrifugal switch. I gave mine a few shots with spray carburetor cleaner and air. Prior to that it occasionally would not start. Now it starts everytime. Just gunk will prevent starting. If I can do it, your eight year old daughter can do it.

First of all ......I’m not a DAM HIK ! :rofl:

But seriously gentlemen thanks for the info, that is good to know. I will see if my daughter is free this
weekend and we will take a look at the motor probably Friday or Saturday morning. :eek:

Acronym "DAMHICK" = Don't Ask Me How I Know :thumb:

Last edited:
Yes. Enclosed like Frank explained.
There wiil be no vents at the front, shaft and pulley end.
Just a cover on rear with vents

Update: clickity click drill press.

I finally made it up to the shop Saturday morning. I removed the belts
started the motor up with no problem it ramped right up to speed quickly
with no click at all. The other pulleys were free spinning.
I ran the press at 590 rpm for about 1-½ hours as a break-in.

Looks like the cold weather and having the belts way to tight was the culprit.

It runs like a champ now!

Thanks to all for the help !

Dave

I finally made it up to the shop Saturday morning. I removed the belts
started the motor up with no problem it ramped right up to speed quickly
with no click at all. The other pulleys were free spinning.
I ran the press at 590 rpm for about 1-½ hours as a break-in.

Looks like the cold weather and having the belts way to tight was the culprit.

It runs like a champ now!

Thanks to all for the help !

Dave

Predict it will come back. Suggest you clean that centrifigal switch. Easy to do and will save grief later.

Predict it will come back. Suggest you clean that centrifigal switch. Easy to do and will save grief later.

Yes indeed I agree, I have some heavy duty "plastic safe" contact cleaner.
would that surfice or should I stick with carb cleaner.

Thanks as always.... Dave