Older Craftsman TS fence upgrade question...

John Pollman

Hi folks!
I had about an hour to kill this afternoon while my son was having his teeth cleaned. It just so happens that his dentist is less than a mile from a Woodcraft store. ;)
I went down and wandered around for a bit. I stood there fondling a really nice Laguna 10" 1-3/4 hp cabinet saw. I'd LOVE to have it, but I don't have $1300. While I was looking at it, a guy came up and said "beautiful piece of equipment eh?". I said heck yeah! We talked a bit and I told him that I'm currently using a 30 year old Craftsman saw that I just replaced the motor on. It's a contractor saw that works fine, but I hate the fence on it. I'd like to have more capacity and one that is easier to square. He suggested buying an aftermarket fence and putting it on. I never really thought about it. If that would work, I'd be glad to spend a few hundred on a new fence system and continue to use the saw. In fact, it that worked, I'd probably build myself a cabinet for it that I could enclose it and make it easier for dust collection.

I got home and did a little Googling, and found a Vega U26. It's about $325 on Amazon. Anyone ever try this? If so, how did it work and would you do it again?

Thanks for any input!

One word: Incra. :D Nothing compares, in my opinion.

I have an Incra system on my Ridgid contractor saw, and if I ever upgrade to a cabinet saw, the Incra is going on it (or I'll buy a new Incra.)

Thanks Vaughn.

Whenever I think of fence, the first thing I think of is Incra. I didn't know if they made one that would work on my 30 year old Craftsman. If so, I'll look into it. If I could get one installed and working, I think I'd like to take the saw off of the leg base and make a cabinet base for it with storage, wheels, DC capability, and an out feed table. We'll see what I can find. I just spent a hundred bucks to replace the original 1hp motor with a HF 1.5 hp and it works great. The only thing I don't like about this saw is the fence.

I'll check Incra! :)

John, you'd need to install the Incra rails to mount the fence on, but I think they can be fitted to just about any saw.

FWIW I put a Delta T2 on my old Craftsman for >$200.00 an really enjoy using it. Took about an hour or so to install. Smooth, easy adjustment and straight as can be.

John once these Delta fences are back in stock, I plan on getting one to put on my Craftsman contractor saw. Pretty sure that's where Roger got his...or at least a couple from the forum have in the past.