Stabilizing pen blanks

Jim Burr

I get a lot of questions about stabilizing stuff, so here is the last batch of data from todays session:

These are all Buckeye burl, vac'd for an hour, set for 2 hours and baked for 3 hours at 210*. Almost out of CJ, but more on order and I have tons of stuff to stabilize.

Blank 1 - start wt 23g, finish 49g dimensions 7/8 x 7/8 x 4.5
Blank 2 - 14g, 30g, 3/4 x 13/16 x 2.125
Blank 3 - 23g, 53g, 7/8 x 7/8 x 4.5
Blank 4 - 22g, 41g, 13/16 x 3/4 x 4.5

You can see a dramatic gain in weight!!! At least double in all but one blank. I have measured in oz before, but since pen blanks are small, I changed to grams so a difference can be noted.

CJ is ancronym for a brand of stabilizing solution whose name I have, thankfully, forgotten.
I was part of a test/review for the product some years ago. Hated it. Expensive, stunk and required heat to cure. IMHO, it has no redeeming value.
I now use a solution of acrylic dissolved in acetone. Some use MEC. I haven't tried that because acetone works fine and I have no reason to switch. This is my secret formula, please don't tell anyone.;)
It works fine, I have stabled quite a bit of wood with it. A few woods do not take stable very well and I will decline jobs requested for those woods. e.g. anything in the rosewood family, osage orange, etc.
Maple seems to be my mostest, favoritest wood to stable. Takes it very nice, doesn't change color and end result is great. I have made moving parts for folks from maple then stabled. Last like iron. But, I digress.