It's Friday! - 1/10/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Man, these full weeks back at work are just long. :coffee:

I'm hoping to get started on the basement this weekend, pulling up old carpet and painting. I bought Rocksmith this week to play around with the guitar on, so going to go through the setup on it. Supposed to be in the 50's on Sunday, so may try to get some shop time in, need to do a good cleaning and get things back in order.

What's everyone else got going?

After a "lost" day Thursday going to Tallahassee for a follow-up with the eye surgeon, I hope to get back on track in the shop today. I'll finish getting the big drawers installed under the queen-size platform bed I've been working on for what seems like forever! Getting sidetracked on other projects hasn't helped much! I also need to get the final fitting done for the rail of the bed so I can apply stain and finish to it. Hopefully, I can put this thing to bed (pun intended) by the end of the month.

Then, I have the flag/display case in process for FIL, but I have until the end of March to finish that.

Perhaps, in my spare time, I can finally play with the iBox I bought a few weeks ago!!!

Supposed to be heading to KC area for a memorial for my great uncle who passed away last month. He had a good run making it to 95, although the last 4yrs where in a care facility as he had Alzheimer's. We'll remember the good times and toast his favorite beverage, a cold beer. :beer:(which he always offered to anyone he was with no matter what the age). He didn't have any kids of his own, but everyone of his 16 nephews and nieces along with lots of their families (like me)will be there to honor him at the memorial and after at a gathering place he frequented regularly until his later years. He was well like for sure. Did I mention he always offered you a beer? :D :beer:

The travel conditions might not let that happen however. Ice/Rain/Snow predicted thru midnight. Might need to wait until morning, but would like to get there tonight as the daughter has her heart set on swimming at the hotel. Back from that on Sunday morning and then I hope to get in the shop in the afternoon. Temps are suppose to be in the high 30s!!

Woke up this morning to a double-barrel bloody nose that took about 40 minutes to get stopped. I guess the weekend can only get better from here on out. :rolleyes:

Playing a gig tonight at a local tavern from 8:00 to 11:30, then I have nothing important scheduled for the rest of the weekend. Planning to do as little as possible and try to get rid of the cold I've been fighting for a week.

Going back to Arizona this afternoon after another round the dirt issues. Tomorrow a funeral in Phoenix. Sunday the game and naps!

Now that the cross is out of the shop I can get started on a bunch of pull toys that need to be done by mid February. Our woodworking club gives about 600 of these simple toys to the Shriners each year to be passed on to children in hospitals.

I bought Rocksmith this week to play around with the guitar on, so going to go through the setup on it.
Received that for Christmas...makin' me mad!! My left hand has a couple mobility issues...like no distal joint in my index finger due to a little table saw thing. But it is making me work...and given that today is Friday...I've been working on it!!
Little bit involved, but so far it's been very educational.
Finishing a decal pen and working on an Ash cheese and cracker platter, maybe a few smaller platters too.

Received that for Christmas...makin' me mad!! My left hand has a couple mobility issues...like no distal joint in my index finger due to a little table saw thing. But it is making me work...and given that today is Friday...I've been working on it!!
Little bit involved, but so far it's been very educational.

Cool, This is my second copy, the first one had a bad cable and buzzed (loud). Amazon shipped me another and it's quiet, no white noise at all. Just got it last night so haven't been able to really get into it much.

Finish up installing the tv in the last shop cabinet I just built then back to working on the dressers that go with the bed and night stands that are completed along with a brake job on someones f350 4x4.

Finish up installing the tv in the last shop cabinet I just built then back to working on the dressers that go with the bed and night stands that are completed along with a brake job on someones f350 4x4.

Speaking of 350's, I have to deal with ours. It's been starting hard for a while and today she just will not fire. We suspect a glow plug issue. We're out of ideas for a DIY fix, so looks like a tow truck job to Winchester's truck service for Monday morning. Lots of reliability problems with that one this year, the consequences of a hard previous life coming home to roost :(

I think that is great. I asked about it when I first attended our local club, they quit doing it as they were afraid of getting sued. :dunno:

The new rules from the feds on kids toys are challenging for small producers:
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Toy-Safety/
http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/98883/testtoys.pdf

There is some relief for "small batch" manufacturers but they still have to register and the overhead for something like a club donating to shriners is somewhat prohibitive and you aren't exempted from all testing (for instance you're still required to do a third party lead content analysis).
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Business--Ma...s/Small-Batch-Manufacturers-and-Third-Party-/

As best as I can figure the rules require every variation (small design change, color difference, etc..) to go through the testing. At this point I can't see most small manufacturers being able to compete at all, the days of selling a few toys at the farmers market are long over. You can sell them as decorative objects, not for children under 13 (sigh).

I can't say for sure that that's why they don't do it anymore, but it sure would give me pause.

Woke up this morning to a double-barrel bloody nose that took about 40 minutes to get stopped. I guess the weekend can only get better from here on out. :rolleyes:

Playing a gig tonight at a local tavern from 8:00 to 11:30, then I have nothing important scheduled for the rest of the weekend. Planning to do as little as possible and try to get rid of the cold I've been fighting for a week.

So Vaughn, where did you apply the tourniquet? :rofl: Hope this get under control soon, especially if you have an "engagement" tonight.

PS It's Saturday, whatever happened to Friday:huh: :rofl: Time seems to go by faster as one gets older. :(

Last edited: