Family Room Project

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My current project is opening up our living room to our sun room to make the room seem a little bigger and help with the layout, which my wife has never liked.

As it was, there was a series of windows between the living room and sun room (which was original to the house). As it is our couch and two chairs sit in front of those windows, there is a glare on the tv during the day (which is on the opposite wall), and the fire place can't be enjoyed as it's off to the side.
FamilyRoom1.jpg

Our plan is to remove the windows, closing the two smaller openings off and opening the larger one as a entry into the sun room. The tv will be moved to where the smaller window was on the left and make the it and the fire place a focal point of the room. I have lots of options for built-in cabinets, but those will come later.
FamilyRoom_new4.jpg

I actually started this project several weeks back, removing drywall from the sun room side and re-routing electrical and preparing for what I needed to do for opening up our living room to the sun room. Today I removed the windows and opened it up. Got the rest of the framing done, including replacing two cripples, and electrical done. Will go get some drywall tomorrow to get ready for taping and mudding.

2014-01-11 13.52.55.jpg 2014-01-11 14.29.53.jpg 2014-01-11 14.47.21.jpg 2014-01-11 18.15.35.jpg 2014-01-11 18.15.48.jpg

Will also start pulling up carpet around the edges tomorrow, so my lovely assistant/painter can start priming trim for paint. Once the painting is done I'll be starting on the floors.

Last edited:
does look like a better plan darren, that must be a bearing wall that is separating the two. seems like a wasted space previously and i would try to open it up completely if you could..

I consired replacing the three individual headers with one micro-lam, but SWMBO over road that proposal. She has a pretty good eye for design, so will trust her on it, besides it's a lot less work for me this way, have a bunch to do as it is.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I am beginning to think you should have just built a new house on that property and knocked the old one down. :) You either love this work or are a sucker for punishment. Best of luck with the reno, that fireplace unit in the middle sure causes a lot of space on one side of the house to be awkward to use eh. I think you making the most of the canvas you have, if i recall you not putting down roots there forever so why look for more grief with the headers. This way you can be in and out and have a good effect on the place.

Just a curiosity whats with the half wall or is it something else.

Rob, I think she's using the old adage of "keep him busy or he'll keep you busy". :) For the most part, this isn't my retirement home, but need to make some sweat equity improvements where we can for some return. I think we'll be building the next one and planning to stay for the long haul in it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Just a curiosity whats with the half wall or is it something else.

The half wall is the outer basement wall. The house is a front to back split, so the kitchen and garage are in the front (ground level), the family room and all bedrooms are in the back. The yard slopes from the front to the back slightly, front being at ground level, also the sunroom comes out at ground level.

Is there a change in floor level between the two areas?

A word of advice, "You cannot have too many electrical outlets."

No, both are on the same slab. The sunroom currently has terracotta tiles, the family room carpet. The carpet is being replace with laminate, The tiles are stuck down good and go well with the new laminate, so not planning to remove them.

Good advice on the electrical. Have added 4 additional outlets already, was considering one more, might as well since I have the wall open still. ;)

Got some drywall put up tonight. Have one more sheet to do, but need to run some cabling to it's final place first and ran out of rough-in boxes. The door opening will get a wood casing and trim. Next up is mudding and pulling up carpet/tackstrip around the edges to allow my painter to start painting trim.
2014-01-14 21.18.20.jpg 2014-01-14 21.19.13.jpg

Got some drywall put up tonight. Have one more sheet to do, but need to run some cabling to it's final place first and ran out of rough-in boxes. View attachment 80411

Yeah that is just a bit of cabling there... Hmm, maybe you should have put an access door on the sunroom side, then you can always easily access the wiring behind the TV. (just kidding)

Is that wallpaper on the sunroom side or a sponge paint?

So...would she smack you for calling her "my painter"? :D

Yes, so shussshhh! ;)

Yeah that is just a bit of cabling there... Hmm, maybe you should have put an access door on the sunroom side, then you can always easily access the wiring behind the TV. (just kidding)

Is that wallpaper on the sunroom side or a sponge paint?

The access panel isn't a bad idea, but I found a pack of the orange cut in boxes late last night, so will probably just cut holes for those. If I find I need more room, go with a panel (strategically placed where a picture will hide it. ;) ).

It's sponge paint that the previous owner did. She did quite a bit of it throughout the house, but wasn't my wife's style, this room has lasted the longest, but will be getting painted the same as the living room.

The ibuprofen IV has been started, been a busy day pulling up carpet, pad, tack strip, and staples. My wife jumped in and started sanding down trim work to get it ready for painting. I also got another coat of mud on the walls.

2014-01-19 16.25.37.jpg 2014-01-19 22.00.08.jpg 2014-01-19 23.17.26.jpg 2014-01-19 23.18.51.jpg 2014-01-19 23.17.35.jpg 2014-01-19 23.17.43.jpg 2014-01-19 23.17.59.jpg 2014-01-19 23.18.16.jpg 2014-01-19 23.18.23.jpg 2014-01-19 23.18.34.jpg

I noticed that you had the HGTV channel on the television as you worked. It that some type of total immersion process to keep you focused on your project?

I noticed that you had the HGTV channel on the television as you worked. It that some type of total immersion process to keep you focused on your project?

I think I had just switched it over from DIY, was watching "Renovation Realities" earlier, or maybe that was just my reality. ;)

Brown visited today and in preparation for cutting up flooring I decided to get the iVac Automatic Vacuum Switch. This one has separate power plugs for the saw and vacuum, though you can plug the vacuum side into the auxiliary plug and get by with only one power connection.

2014-01-22 18.35.46.jpg2014-01-22 18.36.10.jpg