A burning question

A friend is whittling on duck decoys and wants to do some burning. The wood is tupelo. Joey is serious about anything he takes up so while I'm sure he doesn't want to spend a fortune he does want to get something that can grow with him if possible, a flexible start that can be added to as needed.

Suggestions about brands, models, maybe complete starter set-ups would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any advice!

Hu

Hu, with your penchant to make a whole lot of something out of a very little bit of nothing, are you interesting in building one? The commercial models are pricey, underpowered, and handpieces that are hot to use. The serious wood burners have overcome these issues with their own mods. If you are, I can point you in a couple of directions.

Carol,

A communications problem! My friend Joey contacted me for his son as I just discovered in a phone call. What he was seeking was a logo branding iron. However he has now discovered that won't work because he is painting these working decoys and had hoped to brand deeply enough to show through the paint. He is now looking for a stamp to stamp "Aguzin" on the decoys.

Thanks for the info though. I have seen some beautiful burnings done on turnings and may someday be interested in building or modifying something for myself. Embellishment seems to be almost required these days but the further I get away from plain wood the less I like it for my own work. Burning seems less of a leap than painting to me. I have seen some fantastic painted turnings but I had to think they would have been just as fantastic had the artist chosen a different "canvas".

Anyway, many thanks! Now I know I will be looking to build something when and if the time comes. More interesting to do anyway.

Hu

Hu, I would think for little money Pete Simmons could make a round "coin" (size of a quarter to nickel) with the name on it then drill using appropriate sized bit and glue it in. ? .

...The commercial models are pricey, underpowered, and handpieces that are hot to use. The serious wood burners have overcome these issues with their own mods...

Not all of them. ;) Cynthia Gibson uses stock Razortip pens, last I knew, although her work is typically a lot more detailed than Molly Winton's. And as far as underpowered? I've not heard that complaint about any of the pro-level power units like the Razortip or Burnmaster. But you're right...they're not cheap.

If he needs an incised name/logo/signature, I'd suggest contacting Buckeye Engraving. I have a signature stamp from them that works well. It requires smacking it with a large hammer, else using it in an arbor press, and it makes a very clearly incised mark.

Block lettering is fairly economical. A signature replication is kinda pricey, though. A good product - American made in Kent, Ohio!