What was this Pony clamp designed for??

Brent Aukes

I got this clamp with a box of stuff at a garage sale last year and cleaned it up a little. The original cup was missing. THe one in the pictures is not a perfect fit but came from a machine leveling foot. I cleaned it up and painted it with hammered silver finish. Just guessing original color may have been the standard orange but original paint was all gone when I got this one. I believe the part number is 39. Can anyone tell me what this one was used for as I am unfamiliar? It stands roughly 16 inches tall and is adjustable like the standard bar clamps are.

Thanks,

Brent

That is an interesting one and I would send a pic to Jorgensen if you don't get an answer here. Sets your mind going as to what stood on the platform and what got squeezed / pushed with the clamp pad doesn't it?

I'd guess some sort of press rather than a clamp. The two holes in the bottom arms suggest that maybe a table of some sort was attached to the bottom and it sat on the bench, something was placed on the wooden table and the arm is brought down and the crank is turned to apply pressure. Not much pressure though, as the unit itself is not that heavy duty, compared to say a book press or a veneer press, and the round handle on the screw suggests that you would not be expected to apply much force to it.

Dunno I guess :D

I have gone through many of the same thoughts about it being a press and having had some sort of table. I have been unsuccessful with internet searches and have not seen another quite like it. May have to quiz Jorgenson on this one although it would make a pretty good juice press with a little bit of addition.

I might try the folks over at owwm.org (this would be a whatsit in their "swarf" forum - they're rather particular about that it seems) as there are a few folks there that are quite good at id'ing things.

That is the first image other than the one posted that I have seen. It came home with a nice complete M-F eggbeater drill that I was after and a pair of C-clamps for the grand total of $2.00. I just figured it will be useful for something. Appreciate everyones attempts to help ID this thing.

darren how on earth did you find another picture? how do you look for something that you have a picture of but no proper id on? just look for clamps and sort threw the hundreds of pics?

The extra picture does confirm that the bar gripping parts are AWOL on mine. That could be a problem. May have to contact Jorgensen about those. What are the chances?

Pretty good, they look pretty similar to a lot of other bar clamp pieces. They wouldn't even be all that hard to make, take some cold rolled stock and drill a series of holes then saw/file out the residue. I don't believe that they need to be super precision.

darren how on earth did you find another picture? how do you look for something that you have a picture of but no proper id on? just look for clamps and sort threw the hundreds of pics?

If you go to Google and click Image, you'll see a screen like this:

GIS.jpg

Click the camera icon and you'll see this:

GIS2.jpg

Paste the URL of the pic you're trying to find, and sit back and let the magic happen.

If you go to Google and click Image, you'll see a screen like this:

GIS.jpg

Click the camera icon and you'll see this:

GIS2.jpg

Paste the URL of the pic you're trying to find, and sit back and let the magic happen.

I did exactly that will all the pictures that were posted here and did not get anything like the one that Darren found, and I looked.
My first thought was book press, but when I searched for that, all the book presses that came back were quite a bit more stout.

I agree with making it into a veneer press, I bet it will work well for that!

The actual image search brought back some pretty risqué photos, I think I added some text for the brand and model too to find that one.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Well done Darren. I thought veneer press like Stu did. Also tried searching but did it with words on just the images section.
Thanks Vaughn for the lesson i have seen that camera before and never knew what it was for.
Live and learn thanks .

sent from s4