Toni's Next Carving Project?

I have not looked at Sawmill Creek for several years either. And I will duplicate Bill some more. Thanks for posting the link. The guy is fantastic.

I wondered why anyone would go to all of that work to make a fake box full of money. Then I read on and saw the reason---to make a box full of real money.

Enjoy,
JimB

Thanks Vaughn, I only hang out here so would never have seen it. I can admire an acknowledge the skill but the subject matter is blah for me. All that effort to show what a cardboard box of money. Seems to me it was done to show off. Not exactly a work of art i would want to look at all day. He could have put the effort into something that would be worth seeing over and over. Also having chosen money where the identifier is really the printing, he should really have tried to do some micro fine carving to indicate it on the top bill in each pile, otherwise an unsuspecting viewer could just see it as stacks of paper in my opinion.

Thanks Vaughn, but I think I pass on that. I truly think that I could do it, after all the shapes are not so difficult to carve, IMHO it is a matter of perseverance and having a model as reference to look at, and I apologize if I sound pedantic. I do not want to take away the merit from those pieces but I would like to see more intention on them than a perfect reality mimicking

To me it is the paint job that does the trick, as Rob mentions, which I couldn't do BTW, but once you've seen one, the others lose interest. (I've seen his page). I can recall mentioning here that in any piece of art, the difficulty on the execution should play a very small role in its appreciation, which unfortunately many times and for many people it is the opposite. For the same token, a piece made in a dark room wearing boxing gloves should be a great one, shouldn't it?

The "trompe l'oeil" or "cheat the eye" pieces were used extensively since the renaissance in many countries specially in France, mainly in painted walls of palaces and rooms of wealthy people.