Stickley clock, part deux

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The first Stickley mantel clock I built sold rather quickly. So, I have decided to build four more. Also the annual woodworking show is coming up and I have nothing to display!

This time I will go with a flat back rather than raised panel and I am going to try two different finishes. I will finish two clocks the same as I have always done, but the other two I will try a darker finish.

So far all of the sides tops and bottoms have been milled, allowed to rest milled again and cut to size. I just finished the doors and back panels today and I am allowing them to rest a bit before final milling.
8anajezu.jpg

For a finish, why not try fuming them - like Stickley did originally.

Considering their size, you might not even need to build a fume tent. They'd probably fit nicely under a five gallon bucket. Just put a small dish of ammonia next to them, and turn the bucket over it. Probably wanna do that in the far reaches of the back yard, though.

Allen and Rob, thank you very much for the vote of confidence and I will take your suggestion under consideration.

I took most of the weekend off to get some other work done around the house but was back in the shop first thing this morning and got the final dimensioning on the backs and doors done and completed the dovetails on the sides. The final dimensioning for the Doors and backs, because they are so thin, was done on the wide belt sander. I got a chance today to try out my new VRS on my dovetail jig. Although it is a bit of an encumbrance the amount of sawdust it actually captures is rather impressive. The last time I did this many dovetails I was standing in several inches of debris and had to sweep the area multiple times.

ymyjudyp.jpg
a5edate9.jpg

Today I cut the mortices and legs. I made a simple jig to rout the legs after band sawing out most of the waste. I could not remember exactly how I did the mortices last time so it is a good thing I posted pictures of the last build.
6u4y6ezu.jpg
ade2u7ev.jpg
agyhyha7.jpg
ybuzezum.jpg
6yzeqyra.jpg
geryju5e.jpg

Last edited:
I got a little more time in the shop this afternoon so I cut the doors to size and laid out the dial and window openings. I decided to do all four doors simultaneously so I drilled out the excess and will jigsaw out the balance of the waste tomorrow. I have templates to use with a 1/4 inch pattern bit to finish off the openings.

ujepanem.jpg
7eqada8y.jpg

like your method of doing all four operations at once rennie. makes things go faster as long as they are in the right position if not then you got 4 wrong pieces:)

Been working a little at a time on the clocks. I have all of the doors done and everything has been sanded and I am ready for assembly. This morning I made up some gluing blocks for the dovetails and I hotmelt glue them to the sides. These will help put the clamping pressure where it is needed most.

a3e7ydab.jpg
pe4yguja.jpg