Funnel Cakes

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My MIL and wife were looking for some desert after dinner tonight, but cupboards were pretty empty when it came to deserts. I originally was going to do some apple fritters, but my MIL thought funnel cakes sounded good.

2014-01-18 21.38.34.jpg

Found the recipe here:
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/7658/funnel-cakes-i

Going to try the apple fritters in the morning, then the deep fryer is going to get put away for a while, probably to that one cupboard that is really hard to get stuff in/out of. ;)

Here is the apple fritter recipe:
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/90295/moms-apple-fritters

on the boardwalk in atlantic city, funnel cakes are a big thing. a lot of booths sell them, with a zillion different toppings.
Me, I have to avoid them. (but I could polish one off in a heartbeat)

The only way my wife can get me to go with her to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is to promise me a funnel cake. I love those things. The apple fritters look mighty good too. Maybe a once a year treat. Thanks for sharing those recipes.

Seems to me your Mil and Wife have something in common with me......Desserts. LOL. My sweet tooth is my weakness. Cannot pass on those recipes to Linda, my only chance of losing weight is to go cold turkey.

Parish I belonged to in California had an annual fall festival as a fund raiser. the pastor was from Pennsylvania and suggested we do Funnel cakes as part of the week end festival. He did insisted on a few conditions. 1st of all we had to buy the mix from some place in Pennsylvania. It was a Pennsylvania Dutch mix as I recall, also we had to only use cast iron skillets to fry them in and we also had to use nothing but peanut oil to fry them in. Well it must have worked because we would go though 5 cases of mix each case had 6-5 lbs bags that's 150 lbs of dry mix in a 3 day week end.

he should have insisted on homemade whoopee pies, because the Pennsylvania dutch country has the greatest whoopee pies on earth.
Ive driven 5 hours to buy a dozen of them to bring home, in myyoung days, now Im just way too fat, but nothing beats them, nothing.

You Midwesterners and Coasters can have your Funnel Cakes. :rolleyes:

Indian Fry Bread and Sopaipillas (with honey, not powdered sugar) are where it's at. :thumb:

(It's actually similar stuff in a different form.)

Ooooooooh! Sopaipillas. I haven't had one in ages. And I agree, honey, not powdered sugar. Yum! Thanks, Vaughn. Gotta go look for some.

Oh dang. Why did you have to mentiion sopaipillas? There used to be (maybe still is) a Mexican resturant in La Verne California that made (pardon me while I wipe up the drool) delicious sopaipillas.
The preceding statement was from the "Memory Channel."

Enjoy,
JimB

You Midwesterners and Coasters can have your Funnel Cakes. :rolleyes:

Indian Fry Bread and Sopaipillas (with honey, not powdered sugar) are where it's at. :thumb:

(It's actually similar stuff in a different form.)

Yeah Buddy Thats one thing I miss not living in Roswell. We would go to Artesia NM about 30 miles south of Roswell and go to a place that made stuffed Sopaipallas that were out of this world goooooood. You could get them stuff with meat or guacamole I would get one of each ( order came with 2) and almost bust trying to eat it all mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Now I'm hungry

There's a place here in town (Stufy's) that specializes in stuffed sopaipillas. All kinds...green chile, red chile, beans and franks, fajita, pork carnitas, chicken, even pie apples and cheddar cheese. Good stuff indeed!

OK...no fair telling us sopaipillas are better than funnel cake without giving us a recipe.:)

This one looks pretty accurate and authentic:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/Sopapillas/Sopapillas.htm

The real trick to sopaipillas is to have them puff up into hollow "pillows". To eat them, they are typically torn in half (or a corner is torn off) and the inside is drizzled with honey. And they are always best served warm. Cold sopas are not nearly as good as warm ones. Many New Mexican restaurants serve them with virtually every meal ordered. They're almost a given, like crackers being served with soup.

I've only seen sopaipillas served at one restaurant outside of New Mexico, and that was a chain called Chevy's. And they were on the dessert menu, served cold, with powdered sugar as a topping. Wrong on all three counts. :D