Funnel Cakes

Years ago there was a restaurant in Phoenix that had them. Last I checked that restaurant is gone. Boo. By all accounts it is more of a NM thing. Lots f tortillas in Yuma. Wonder if I can find a sopaipilla somewhere here.....

I had them last summer at a restaurant in Oklahoma City....piping hot with honey on the side. They weren't on the menu, but my daughter had eaten there often and knew the secret menu. I made them many years ago as part of a Spanish class....they exploded and splattered hot grease all over the kitchen. As with most of my cooking, I was lucky the fire department didn't have to respond.:D

I had them last summer at a restaurant in Oklahoma City....piping hot with honey on the side. They weren't on the menu, but my daughter had eaten there often and knew the secret menu. I made them many years ago as part of a Spanish class....they exploded and splattered hot grease all over the kitchen. As with most of my cooking, I was lucky the fire department didn't have to respond.:D

Gee, that explosion reminds me of a little accident I had in high school chemistry. Years later you could still see the "etchings" in the plaster.
I didn't know that chem teacher could move so fast.

Enjoy,
JimB

It's the same place, Don. Same street address. Carne asada is said to be really good - one of my favorites! Have to ask for the sopaipilla. Now to decide on Corona with lime or one of their signature margaritas.

Excuse me. I have to go put on a clean shirt. Back later. Wondered what I wanted for dinner tonight. :)

It was wonderful! A little pricey, but than I seldom have a margarita with dinner.

The carne asada was a full plate full. I will have left overs tomorrow. That cuts the price in half right there. The sopaipilla was piping hot. The margarita was awesome! Only downside was one small packet of honey that was a bear to open. Forewarned is forearmed. Next time I will bring my baby Swiss army knife which has a tiny scissors and ask for more honey. And exchange the pricey margarita with a Corona with lime. Truly. The best Mexican meal I have had in years.

Bottom line. I WILL be back.

Many a time I have selected which trade show or festival to go to just based on if they had funnel cakes or not.

I have eaten the sopaipillas but not in many years, didn't have a clue what they were called. Had a bottle of honey on the table though, tear a little hole in the fresh hot poof ball and angle it around squeezing gently on the honey bottle to paint the inside with honey. Kinda reminiscent of the original hot Krispy Kreme donuts. They have went corporate and sold out quality now, the last ones I bought were a woeful disappointment. Skinny little things, nothing to them.

Back in 1970 I passed by the Krispy Kreme at 4:30 in the morning on the way to open a service station at five. The first hot batch of donuts of the day would just be coming off the line and it was easy to wolf down close to a dozen of the light airy glazed marvels. If I was a little late the first batch of shells, the ones with no hole in the center that they normally stuffed, would be rolling off the line and they sold me those unstuffed at the same price as donuts since I was a seven day a week customer for about a year! At fifteen I could eat a dozen donuts just to start my day and keep my girlish figure. Now I gain five pounds if I just linger in the bakery section of a supermarket too long.

I'm laying here drooling thinking about baked goodies and good Mexican food. It's ninety miles to the nearest decent Mexican restaurant and lesser just won't do when you know where great TexMex is to be had. It's a hundred miles to the Café du Monde in New Orleans which has the best beignets around and is the closest thing to heaven in baked goods I know of these days. I wonder if they deliver?

Hu