Opinions Wanted

Dave Richards

Do you think I got close enough to the chair in the background with my sketch?

chair-1.jpg

Close enough for what? :)

To give a client a rough idea, maybe. I might add the curved backrest (or is that carved out?) Is the back of the seat curved as well?

I wouldn't get the joinery from the drawing, maybe adding the bridle joints would help that.

For a "I'd like to build a chair like this" purpose, I think what you have is perfect. It'd illustrate the basic principles and express that cantilever theme that is the main point of the piece, I think.

Och! I didn't bother to draw in the joinery or the seat and back hollows. At this point I'm mostly interested in whether or not I got proportions right. I think I'll build a mock up of 2x lumber. The designer has done the chair with several different methods of joinery. He also has a chair that is a bit more reclined for lounging.

I used SU's Photomatch option to get the basics of the chair drawn. Very slick tool.

Unfortunately Ken, SU doesn't have a softbox. ;)

And a very nice shadow too Dave!:D

I got the full sized drawing done about midnight last night...couldn't get to sleep......will double check the measurements this evening. IF the day and night job allows I hope to turn one some evening this week.

Last edited:
Hello Tim. I was wondering if anyone would ask that. ;)

It was very simple really. I drew the profile of the thigh recess in place on one side of center. I drew a U-shaped path on the seat surface and ran Follow Me. Then I hid the lines around the edges. The arc for the thigh recess is a parabola drawn with the Bezier tool. I think that gives a better shape than using a circular arc.

I'm sure it isn't perfectly fitted to anyone's bum but I guess it relays the idea.

The back rest got a simple parabolic curve on the edge and I used Push/Pull. Not quite the way it is in the photo but close enough.

Dave, have you sat in one of these chairs? If so, are they comfortable?

I have started (barely), the arts and crafts one from FWW that you drew up. My first pass at making templates was a failure but a learning experience. Oh well....

No, I haven't even seen one of these in person. I thought I'd mock it up out of 2x lumber when I get a little time.

I'd love to see the A&C chair parts you're working on. Did you see the article about that chair in Fine Woodworking?

Ah, so sort of like this picture I did without smoothing out the edges?

The main problem I had was making sure the ends of the arc were perpendicular to the edge of the block so that the follow-me would work as expected.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 7
That's it Tim. I meant to post a picture but got side tracked. I drew straight legs on the path so I didn't have the problem you ran into. In your case, the simple thing to do is copy the profile out, off the edge to in front a little way. Then add a straight segment between the end of the arc and the profile to get that perpendicular first segment in the path. Add one to the other end and select all of them before running Follow Me. After you've completed that part, select all of the geometry and Run Intersect with selected. Delete the waste and you're all set.

SculptedSeat.jpg

Hi Dave,
that stuff you are doing is really nice. I don't understand the how but it is real good. Did you do the original drawing with a serger? :rofl: :rofl:
Oh the back you emmulate is set in between the arm rests, Don't know if it matters. You are awesome...:D good.
Shaz

Thank you Shaz. I'm thinking of drawing with a sewing machine. Should give some interesting results don't you think? :rofl:

Thanks for the catch on the backrest. I can fix that toot sweet.

Cheers,

Dave