another 10 inches of snow and artic temps expected today and tomorrow

Ive never been as depressed as I am this winter.
These artic blasts basically make me a prisoner in my own home.
Sure, I could go out to a daytime movie, or walk around a mall, maybe even to to a museum, but its not my thing to do on a regular basis.
I shop when I need something, I hate movie theaters, and I wont deal with traffic and parking to go into a museum by myself.

I was down for a few days last week with my infusion, didn't mind, but Ive also been feeling cruddy lately, head cold, and some other issues, so with this cold front approaching again, for the next few days, Im climbing the walls.
It was 43 today, so I was out there making some crown molding, but now the temp is dropping 2 degrees an hour, expected to head down to single digits overnight, 15 tomorrow, low 20s rest of week. Again, another week of being trapped by cold weather.

I don't remember any winter in recent years here as cold as this one.

(even with the 2 heaters on in the garage, it wont keep it warm enough for me in 15 degree weather)

I really don't love florida, or any hot weather climate year round, but this is just too ridiculous for me to want to live up in the northeast whatever more time I have left.
I like the idea of being able to go out without a jacket year round.

I don't think I want to dump more money into my tiny garage.
Im usually ok with 35 degrees, and each winter there have only been a handful of really cold days.
this winter is the first really cold one since I started woodworking what I consider full time.

Allen they population in Arizona goes up by some 30% this time of year for exactly the reason you are referring to. Our winter visitors are very welcome as it is a boon to the economy. Some of the parks where many of the snowbirds stay in the winter even have wood working shops so that the folks can enjoy there hobby without having to maintain two shops. Heck half the teams in major league baseball come here for spring training. The city of Mesa just built a new facility for the Cubs. I won't tease you with the temps cause I know you guys are getting hammered but I will say that I am wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt.

The only hydrant at the horse barn froze up. Carrying water to the team, 3 saddle horses and mule. Takes about 30 gallons twice a day. Wood is holding out. It is downright chilly. Last night the wind blew and actually made the house shake (or it was the windchill and it was shaking!). -5 F now with a -24 windchill. No school today nor tomorrow. Lou and I do chores and then hunker in.

I think we are finally having that winter everyone has been wondering about. Just an old fashioned winter. Snows here about once a week, nothing major, inch or so. Cold 3 out of 7 days. Winter it is

I don't think I want to dump more money into my tiny garage.
Im usually ok with 35 degrees, and each winter there have only been a handful of really cold days.
this winter is the first really cold one since I started woodworking what I consider full time.

There is a reason people live in Western Oregon & Washington. It is a temperate climate that allows you to enjoy the outdoors all year and yet still experience seasons. It is just that the seasons do not have extremes, unlike Florida & Arizona. My wife and I just got back from a short walk (2 mi) along a forested path to a local coffee shop. I had a sweater and light jacket. The jacket I had to remove as I walked. As for the summer, well...air conditioners are not needed and I don't know anyone that has one. Temperate...not too hot, not too cold...just right.

....I really don't love florida, or any hot weather climate year round, but this is just too ridiculous for me to want to live up in the northeast whatever more time I have left. I like the idea of being able to go out without a jacket year round.
Florida?? No reason to go so far south for a bit milder climate. As a native of Syracuse NY, and having lived in Alaska for a number of years, when I decided on a place to retire, having lots of snow was not high on the criteria list. If you still want right coast, Virginia and North Carolina have very nice climates. Time to get out before you fall on the ice.:(

the west coast will never happen for my wife. she wont move that far from our children, and hopefully one day grandchildren.
All my siblings currently live in florida. My sister hopes to eventually move to lake Tahoe(once her husband retires), but for now, they are in florida along with my brother and other sister.
Most of my family, the older generation, lives in florida.
It would be nice to spend my remaining years with my siblings as we haven't spent much time together the past 25 years.
It will be hard for my wife to go south, leaving our kids, but I think once she retires, 3 or 4 months a year will be fine for her, avoiding the cold winters.(she cannot tolerate cold temps, shes cold when its 72 degrees)

Id love to move Arizona, Nevada, but its the family thing that draws me south.

I think a lot of it depends on where my wifes sister ends up also, I don't think shed want to be too far from her sister.

There is a reason people live in Western Oregon & Washington. It is a temperate climate that allows you to enjoy the outdoors all year and yet still experience seasons. It is just that the seasons do not have extremes, unlike Florida & Arizona.

Well Bill not all of your neighbors fell the same way you do their are a lot of Washington license plates around town these days and some of my best medicare customers have those plates on their cars.

Well Bill not all of your neighbors fell the same way you do their are a lot of Washington license plates around town these days and some of my best medicare customers have those plates on their cars.

They are wimps Don, wimps. :) They would never survive in a real winter area. The wife and I actually crave more of an winter experience and plan to travel to Maine and thereabouts to check it out before we settle down in retirement. We can't get too far from the ocean. Mountains & ocean.

Well Bill I will say one thing your summers are great. Our well they can be brutal. That's why I am so glad my sister-in-law just built a place in Flagstaff just a short drive away at 6000 ft elevation just the place to go to get a break from the heat here in the valley.

I had to spend yesterday draggingcabs into my house that Im building, the doors, the face frames, because if Ileave them in the shop, they will get damaged if I begin any other projects.
doesn't pay to continue since Im about up to spraying them, and I wont have warm enough temps until march, so these cold days are going to back me up a bit with unfinished things.
Ill probably start some cleanup and build some wooden toys.
I actually got an order, an actual pay you cash order for pens, I couldn't believe it. the person actually wants to pay me to make her pens. (its my home infusion nurse, she saw I had my pen wallet on the table with a few pens in it)
as soon as I get my toggle switch Ill have some pens to make.

Last edited:
I was almost tempted to dismiss my wifes full retirement benefits/pension and tell her its time for us to move south
8 inches of snow again for today.
I hate this stuff.
Another backbreaking day later on of cleaning off the stuff.
as soon as I get the walkways clear and the driveway clear, we get more white stuff.
ech.

the snow plow for the local village didn't come around all day. We saw it on the streets parallel to us, but not us, so I waited and waited, until finally, I had to go out and move snow because I didn't want to do it in the dark.
So I put my truck in the street, and halfway through cleaning, the snow plow came and plowed 4 feet of heavy snow in front of my driveway and buried in my truck.
so another 30 minutes with the snowblower and as I was putting the thing away, it sounded as if something was wrong, the motor started making funny noises.
its about 18 years old, maybe 17 years old, but Im bringing it in tomorrow first thing for a lawn motor/snow blower service guy right near me.
Just what I want to do every day.

The only time I've ever used a snow shovel was when I was about 10 and it was a makeshift sled. Man that sucker would fly!

I feel for you Allen. I hope it warms up soon so you can look back on this winter with fond memories!:rolleyes: