Butcher Block Oil...............

Mark Rios

Where do you folks get your Butcher Block Oil (mineral oil)?

My local HD only (sometimes) carries it and when I can find it, it's $3 -$4 per 8 oz. bottle. That's $48 to $64 per gallon. Surely mineral oil can't be that expensive. Where can I find a similar product cheaper in say, gallon size?

Thanks very much.

Like Tod, I get my mineral oil at whatever drug store chain I happen to be near. I've not found anything larger than 16 oz, but that will last me quite a while. Sometiems I'll buy several bottles at a time when it's on sale, and I've wondered what the checkout clerk must be thinking about someone buying that much laxative at one time. :laugh2:

Horse Vets use it by the gallon.

For unplugging those plugged situations :eek: :)

Yup Mark,

Mineral Oil at the discount pharmacy/chain of your choice.

Oh, and I usually heat it and melt some parrafin wax in it, then apply while warm. That prolongs the re-application time, and seems to do a good job protecting the wood.

- Marty -

Mark,
I moved you post, I felt that it was turning into a finishing question and this forum will have less trafic and will be easier to find in the future for other posters.

Don

Thanks Don, You're absolutely right. Sorry for the mix-up. Please see Sig line. :D

Thanks also to the rest of you. Forgot all about the other uses of the stuff. Again, please see sig line. Still, $32 a gallon seems like a lot for plain ol' mineral oil but, I can look at it this way; At least you've cut the cost in half for me. :D

Do the same drugstores also carry paraffin? I remember getting it at my local big chain grocery store 30+ years ago when I was a kid. I wasted A LOT of the stuff thinking I was making candles. Funny what our parents spend/waste on their kids so that their kids can learn, for better or worse. :D :D :D

Grocery Store? Walmart, Walgreen, etc.?

Thanks very much again.

Last edited:
I buy it at the local drugstore...but I use the thickera stuff. Pour it on...go do something...come back and wife off excess. Don't really like adding wax...it sticks around when to oil is gone.

Do the same drugstores also carry paraffin? I remember getting it at my local big chain grocery store 30+ years ago when I was a kid. I wasted A LOT of the stuff thinking I was making candles. Funny what our parents spend/waste on their kids so that their kids can learn, for better or worse. :D :D :D

Grocery Store? Walmart, Walgreen, etc.?

Mark,

Here you can buy paraffin at Wal-mart or any grocery store, its in the canning section next to the Kerr jars.

Regards

Randy

End Grain

Don't forget if you're oiling an end grain board that it will keep absorbing oil until it starts running out the other side :D

The paraffin technique works well and cuts down on the amount of oil you need to seal the block in these applications

Jay