How to Unload large machines

Jeff Horton

I went to Birmingham this morning to look at the old saw. It has some issues but I went ahead and traded with the fellow but that is for another thread. People always panic about unloading the smaller saws and thought I would show one way to do it.

First problem. Getting it in the door! I back to the Lab door and things don't look to good.

tn_100_8311.jpg 100_8312.jpg
Houston we have a problem! I pondered on this and knew I could lift it with the engine lift but it that wasn't going to help. It would still hit the house and then when I lowered it would be on the ground and no way to move it inside with the lift. Than I had an idea

100_8313.jpg 100_8315.jpg

Look ma! It fits! Barely but it just fits. Now how did he do that?? Pretty simple actually.

tn_100_8316.JPG

OK first hurdled crossed. Now lets unload this beast.

UNLOADING

Engine lifts are worth their weight in Gold! Rent one if you don't want to buy one!! Here is why. This casting probably weighs in at 900 lbs or better. You and buddies are not going to pick this one up and move it around.
100_8318.jpg

With the lift there it nothing to it. Did this by myself. Once I found the center line I could pick it up and roll it to the back of the trailer no problem.

100_8319.jpg

Turned it around and found it wanted to rest on top of he legs of the lift. Again, not a problem!

100_8320.jpg

Just took some scrap and placed them in between the legs and castings let it down a little at a time. Adjusted the wedges so speak as I slowly lowered it to the floor of the trailer.

100_8321.jpg

You end up with the casting on an angle so you just have to slowly finish lowering it and making sure that it stands upright. Which it did no problem.

100_8323.jpg
Then just move the lift to the shop floor and take it on off the trailer. All done in 10 minutes by myself. No sweating and straining and done safely too.

It was a LOT harder unloading all the pieces such as the table and the wheels than it was to unload the frame. If you going to be moving much around these lifts are the ticket!

Last edited:
ole pro!

i think ya dun thast b4 jeff:thumb: not bad for a southern gentleman. have had few heavy lods to get off the trailer b4 myslef. and if things go as planned this summer i will have a hoist just for such things, drive in hook up lift off, drive out let down, roll to it final resting place:)

You can include me in the group that thinks this is a great tool. I have the foldable version. I also have a beam in my garage and it is only bolted to the roof supports so I have to put some 4x4s under each end when I use it.

Attachments

• dscf00015.jpg
    dscf00015.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 38
  • dscf0008.jpg
    dscf0008.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 36