You Be The Judge

Les Elm

Which on would you prefer as a customer?
The Satin finish with a soft warm wood look and feel or the Gloss finish with a cold hard plastic look and feel?

Les

4B-BlackTitaniumPlatinumRedwoodBurlCustom.jpg

5B-BlackTitniumPlatinumGlossRedwoodBurlCustom.jpg

Last edited:
number 2, the pen will get enough wear and Im sure over time loose some of its sheen if the owner uses it a lot.
I also think number 2 with the higher sheen looks better.
if the customer balks at either one, let me know, Ill take youre throwaways.

To use - the satin.
To look at - the high sheen.

I'm going to disagree with Allen, I think that if its used a lot the high sheen will end up with variable sheen (softer at the wear points) and end up blotchier looking in the long run. If its just a desk toy the high sheen would imho look better.

I like them both. Each finish will have there likers and dis-likers. I find even my own tastes change depending how much beer I'm working on :rolleyes:

I really like both finishes, but for a high-end pen I lean toward the glossy finish. I've never seen a satin finish on a Mont Blanc. :)

I really like both finishes, but for a high-end pen I lean toward the glossy finish. I've never seen a satin finish on a Mont Blanc. :)

Come on over I have two satin finish Mont Blancs. However, they are silver, not plastic.

On practically everything I prefer satin (even chairs). I guess I am old enough to remember all of the cheap shiny plastic items from the stone age.

Now, to make a liar out of myself, I do like a shiny black Tesla, Rolls, Jag, etc. But I have never owned one(*) because the sun's heat is really absorbed by black. The least smudge on a black car shows up and looks like heck. Black cars usually have black, butt burning seats.

Enjoy,
JimB

* My second car was a shiny black Chevy Two-Door. That's how I learned about the sun creating a hot car, seats, etc. I never bought another one.

on furniture i like the satin, but i think for your high dollar pens gloss is the ticket,, try a test batch and see what sells better in you area les then go with that

My vote is for the glossy finish. If I were to to purchase a high end pen, it probably wouldn't get used, just displayed as a prized personal possession, like the pens Bob & Paul gave me.