They don't make pianos like they used to!

Found you a pool table, Hu. No need to thank me. :D

slideshows2slide_1_image.jpg

Hu, I had a pretty stock '67 with the 289 and auto tranny when I was a teen. (Dad bought is as a car for my sister, then I took it over when she went to college.) It was a fun car. :thumb:

Always wanted a sixty-seven mustang, one of the few cars I wanted and never owned. Owned a '63 and '66 vette but always wanted a '61. I did own the big brother of the 67 mustang, a '69 SCJ428 torino GT fastback. The same general shape, tons of torque, no zip. Had a four speed with straight cut gears like a rock crusher muncie and sounded like one. Always felt like I was driving a log truck when I was in that thing. Flipped it far enough one night that when I called my friend with a wrecker to go get it the next morning I just gave a general description of where it was at. He asked if I could be more specific. "Just bring a broom and shovel Clarence, it's all over the place!"

Hu

My sister had a '72 Mach I USA Special. She bought it from some guy who blueprinted the 351 Cleveland and turned it into a beast. She drove it for a few years then sold it to a guy at work when she started to have kids. In less than a month, the new owner missed a turn and hit a tree at about 120 mph...backward. Driver and three friends were killed.

My sister had a '72 Mach I USA Special. She bought it from some guy who blueprinted the 351 Cleveland and turned it into a beast. She drove it for a few years then sold it to a guy at work when she started to have kids. In less than a month, the new owner missed a turn and hit a tree at about 120 mph...backward. Driver and three friends were killed.

I sold a little Datsun pick-up to a kid, he lost his Camaro that night at about 135 in town. His parents went on and picked up the truck although I offered a refund. Another Camaro, fifteen year old boy, adopted by an older couple I believe, the apple of their eyes and joy of their life so they bought him a hot rod Camaro. He lost it at better than a hundred and came across in front of a 3/4 ton Ford truck a friend and someone else I knew were in. Head on, combined speed well over 150. The impact was on the passenger door of the Camaro and damaged it so severely that there was no chance of the driver surviving. The calipers of the 3/4 ton put cookie cutter holes in the 3/4 ton rotors. My friend came close to dying a couple times in the next couple of weeks and was partially crippled for life. I was lucky in a lot of ways in my young and wild days. I never did too much damage to myself and never hurt anyone else in the least.

A chuckle after those sobering thoughts. A friend's wife had a 76 or so Grand Prix. Might be a few years off, I don't really remember at the moment. Those long beasts that you could have fit two V-8's under the hood of nose to tail though. A bunch of Poncho's had soft cam's that year and they would go out around 40,000 miles.

Her's did and I told her we needed to change the cam. She hit the ceiling! We weren't going to change the cam in her car! A friend's husband had changed the cam in her Chevelle she loved and then it was loud and jumped around, acted crazy and she was too embarrassed to drive it. The lady was highly spun and I knew any reasonable explanation was futile. "Well if you don't want to change the cam, the only other thing I can do is change the valve actuating rod."

"OK then, you can do that." Peace and harmony were restored until she saw the hood and half the engine come out of her car!

I changed out the valve actuating rod, put the car back together and no surprise it ran like new since I had just put in lifters and a factory replacement cam from after they fixed the problem. Never did admit to her what a valve actuating rod was!

Hu

...I changed out the valve actuating rod, put the car back together and no surprise it ran like new since I had just put in lifters and a factory replacement cam from after they fixed the problem. Never did admit to her what a valve actuating rod was!...

:rofl:

in 1973, I got back from florida, didn't have much success at 17, didn't have any money nor a car.
My wifes cousin owned a lee myles transmission shop(lee myles was one of my wifes family business, one of her cousins)
He had a marshall repossess a 1965 mustang from a guy who drag raced the car, went off the road into a ravine, the car sat ended up with a lot of damage, and needed a transmission.
The guy never paid her cousin for the car, so after he repossessed it, he offered it to me for the price of the transmission. 350 dollars.
I got a lift to staten island, we pushed the car from his shop about 1/4 mile to a tire shop(the tires were all shot on the mustang), put on 4 new tires and I owned a 65 mustang.

I didn't know anything about cars, other than turn the key and hopefully it goes on.

This mustang was all decked out with dual carbs, enhanced engine, the works. Not sure why the guy never paid to get it back.

it was so fast. I remember going 55 on the highway, and when I wanted to pass someone, it would shoot out like a cannon shot.
It was so powerful.

I drove it for years, and after never putting any money into it, it needed some serious work. I couldn't afford nor wanted to put any money into it, so I gave it to my mechanic for always keeping it in good shape and hardly charging me since he knew I was a student.

Last edited:
A year or two before I moved to California in 1991, a retired cop friend of mind got a part-time job as the Chief of Police for a small town in northwestern New Mexico. He worked out a deal with the town to where he purchased his own police car and leased it to the town. So he bought the first police-equipped Mustang in the state. :D Plain white, with all the lights hidden under the grill. It had the 5.0 V8 and a 5-speed manual with a very tall set of gears. Definitely a sleeper car. He let me drive it for a bit one afternoon in town. You had to really baby the clutch to start in 1st gear from a standstill, but once it was rolling, watch out. I never got it past 2nd gear, since we decided 85 MPH was fast enough for city streets. He commuted about 120 miles each way to work, and generally made the trip in about an hour. All the State police officers and county sheriffs who patrolled that stretch of road eventually got to know him. When he first started doing the drive, they'd nail him with radar, and he'd pull over as soon as he'd see the lights, because he knew there was no way they could catch him. He's show his badge, chat for a bit and be on his way. Once they got to know him, they'd just get on the radio and say "Reynolds, you wanna back it down a little? You're making us look bad out here."

Another chuckle about a sleeper, that kinda plain looking brown firebird of James Garner's on The Rockford Files had twin Paxton superchargers under the hood and of course he could drive a little bit. They were going to shoot a scene of him driving down a twisty road, maybe the coast highway, I don't remember now. Just for chuckles the first take he outran the camera helicopter so badly they couldn't get any footage for the entire five to seven miles to where the scene was supposed to end.

Hu