Bucket Case Bandsaw

That is just too cool looking!!! A little on the scary side too with the open top wheel. And please tell me you didn't use that hammer that's on the floor in the assembly.:rofl: Jim.

Naa, I used the BIG ONE! ;)

Are you planning on making an upper guard Jeff?

Don't know yet. Have not thought that far ahead. Have to make a guard where the blade comes off the bottom wheel to the top wheel. I know what to do there. I have to fabricate, as soon as I can figure out what it looks like, a plate that guards the blade at the front that is missing.

Have not thought to much past that.

Didn't get much done that shows yesterday. Assembly is such a slow process but I did add the gold letter to it. Really sets it off. About the only thing(s) left at this point require a motor. Like mounting a motor on it and then getting 3 phase to it.

Once that is done I can order the tires for the wheels. Crown them, install the tables and be ready to start cutting wood.

day5-assembly1.jpg

day5-assembly2.jpg

Jeff

Woo Hoo! made some progress on this thing. Now that I have 3 phase I can move onwards. Today I finished up the motor mount. This may be temporary but we will see how it works.

I made a plate to fit on the existing motor mounting bracket out of two 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood. On that I mounted the Allis Chalmers motor. Even found a source for some square head bolts and nuts for mounting the motor. While not the motor I really wanted. I think it looks OWWM'ish on there. Its big and old looking. Better than a new small motor to my eyes. I need to get a belt on there to test it out and with it running I can finish scrapping the 'crude' off the wheels. I am thinking I might just get a link belt for the time being. Odds are I am going to have to replace the large sheave anyway.

motor_mounted1.jpg

motor_mounted2.jpg

When compared to the art work of the original I think it's a pretty good match.

Also thinking I want to make a belt guard along these lines. I wouldn't try to make an exact match but I would really like to make something along the lines of this one. Especially all the holes in the guard. Just love that!

q_belt%20guard.jpg

I have an old Arrow Hart starter that I want to use. It looks older, not as old as the saw though. Just have to figure out where I can mount on there that is easy to reach and still out of the way of the doors. Didn't really find a good place today. Everything I looked at seemed it would be in the way or hard to reach. I really want it easy to reach Just In Case! I figure this saw has really good "soiling the shorts potential" if something gets in bind or out of hand with that 5 hp motor.

Jeff

Looking good, Jeff. What did you find that was the problem with the table tilt binding when you tore it down?

What I found was the broken casting was not welded back in place correctly. That is it doesn't align up in it's original spot. Probably not possible to weld it into the same exact place, I realize that. The table slides on dovetail ways that are poured out of babbitt. What I did, and not sure it's going to work, is to make some shims to raise the trunnion in the dovetails to get a tighter fit. I don't expect to tilt the table much so this may be fine. But at some point I expect I am going to have to remove the table and repour the babbitt. At least on the side that was welded to properly fix the problem.

I am not scared of babbitt, just this looks like it will be a difficult pour to do. Its in a small area without good access. So I am going to try to avoid it if I can. If as some point I have to pour some for something else, I will probably do this at the same time. But how often do you tilt a table? Most people never do.

I've got some golden oldie push button start switches around here somewhere :huh:

If you need something, I'll see what I have

Steve, I am always on the look out for vintage switches and motor starters. Make a list, send a photo and give me a price. I can always find a use for them.

Well Jeff, congratulations are in order, and it must be running Pretty Quiet Too, since it didn't even get the "Shop Foreman's" Attention from only 4' away.:thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Looks like making the new Belt Guard/Tail Protector better be High on the "To Do" list though.:D

The foreman did move when it started up. Just moved from beside to behind, but yea it is very quite. The RPC makes more noise than it does. I was surprised.

And I am working on the guard all ready.:eek:

I walked over to check the bearings to see if the babbitt was hot. That requires reaching behind the pulley. As I walked over I watched he tail of my shop apron flop and I quickly backed up! Belt guard moved WAY up the list. Got to say it intimidated me when I thought about my apron getting caught in there.

I have an idea laid out on the bench now. Got an idea but it's going to take some thought to work out the details and figure out how to mount it.

Jeff