Want Opiniions on Hollowing Tools

Mike Turner

I want another hollowing tool ! My Easy Wood Tool #3 full sized hollower works really good but I want one that is maybe similar to the Sorby HollowMaster. The Sorby hollowmaster has mixed reviews so I wonder about it.I dont want another one with an insert but maybe one that I can sharpen but I still want opinions of what you guys prefer. Anybody use John Jordans Hollowing tools? Just let me hear your opinions Thanks in advance !!!

When I was hollowing, I used a Monster...everything in one! For stuff like birdhouses, I have a custom from Tim Reinhart, uses a 1/8" round cutter on a swan neck.

I'm also a fan of the Monster tools, but I'm biased. (I run their website and help with their marketing.) I also much prefer captive hollowers over free-hand tools, but that's a personal preference.

Mike, I have and occasionally use a Sorby Hollowmaster which worked as advertised after I got used to it. Like Jim and Vaughn I moved from hand held hollowers to the Monster captive system. I also use the Kobra captive systems for larger turnings. That's probably not the answer you are looking for, because the captive systems are pricey. I guess it depends on the scale of the hollowing you are doing. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I am an admitted tool junkie. I have the following hollowing tools. Soren Berger, Rolly Monroe, Termite, Jordon, Kobra 1" hollowers, 1 hunter tool. Last year a friend and I started making carbide hollowing tools. For miniature hollows I use bent allen wrenchs mounted in pen blank handles.

I prefer Soren Berger for green wood and Jordon using my Kobra for dry wood.

One of the draw backs to having so many choices is that I am not proficient with any of them.

Free hand or what?

One of our local wood turners as designed a really nice articulating arm that has HHS inserts he sharpens on his CBN wheel.

7547838SS304_014_001.jpg

he designed this for two of our members, one who has Parkinson and the other is wheel chair bound and uses hie with the sit-down lathe stand he also made for this indivdual.

I agree that Don Pencil makes and sells some good stuff. I really love his face plates (especially the bargain-priced "blems") and buffing equipment. His "PL" polishing compound is my favorite. But having owned and used some of his hollowing tools, I'd say there are better options available.

Down-under we dont see too many of the US designed hollowing tools. A lot of DIY copies and knock offs, Oland type tools are quite common along with Rolly Munro hollowers. For most of mine are shop made a mix of other well know designs and my own, they all work some better than others.

The articulated type of rig impresses me so much so I have a Kobra type rig partially built. When finished it will be the main rig for me on the big lathe.