A strat i've never seen before...

Jason Beam

So i'm sitting around internet stalking my idol ... and i happen across this gem of a song:

See that cream colored guitar Andy Fairweather Low's playin? Looks like a strat ... but it's only got one pickup at the bridge? Say what, now? My google fu is weak on finding details of this particular axe. I know he likes to play a lot of goofy stuff sometimes but this one has me intrigued! Anyone know anything about it?

Pickup cover keeps all a secret :D
If you scroll down a bit here you'll catch a glimpse of Fairweather Low with dual 'HH' at the bridge & middle positions...and here is Fenders 'blacktop strat with HH at the bridge & neck position...as to who builds em for Andy :dunno:
it's your sound do what you want :thumb:

I''ve seen posts about him playing Eastwood guitars, but don't see anything like that on their site. Have also seen posts that say he swaps out the singles on his telecasters for the humbuckers.

So i'm sitting around internet stalking my idol ... and i happen across this gem of a song:

See that cream colored guitar Andy Fairweather Low's playin? Looks like a strat ... but it's only got one pickup at the bridge? Say what, now? My google fu is weak on finding details of this particular axe. I know he likes to play a lot of goofy stuff sometimes but this one has me intrigued! Anyone know anything about it?

But think about it. If you only ever use one 'tone' on your guitar, why have all the extra knobs, switches, pickups, etc...

Time to get that CNC going and building some of yer own single duty geetars!

I don't think Fender makes a single Humbucker Strat, but pretty much any of the custom shops could put one together pretty easily.

Eddie-Van-Halen-12.jpg

Come to think of it, here's all that remains of a homemade Strat-style guitar I made back in 1981. (Made of ash, using my granddad's tablesaw and bandsaw, shaped with rasps, a router and a belt sander.)

81%20VM%20Strat%20Body.jpg

So in other words, yes, it's been done. ;)

But think about it. If you only ever use one 'tone' on your guitar, why have all the extra knobs, switches, pickups, etc...

Time to get that CNC going and building some of yer own single duty geetars!

I see his has only two knobs, probably tone & volume, and that thingy above the strings I'm guessing is a pick in waiting stashed in the guard....I never even thought about the extra knobs/switches with my pick-guard thought. I figured just a custom cover to hide the UN-used holes...hey I never claimed to be smart :wave:

Hmmm? wonder if one could find a p/u with strong enough magnets to hide the p/u under a thin laminate...now that would make one look twice lol

& Yeah on the CNC suggestion, a 'JB' custom with some 'JB' backing{hic:D} to go with my 'JB' playing{Just Baaaaad} :rofl:

...Hmmm? wonder if one could find a p/u with strong enough magnets to hide the p/u under a thin laminate...now that would make one look twice lol...

I have a friend who has spalted maple pickup covers on his bass guitar, but you can still see the pickups, since they protrude above the face of the bass. In order to be able to conceal the pickup flush with the face of the guitar, you'd need magnets that are so strong they would potentially affect the vibration of the strings.

Of course, if you want the "hidden pickup" look, you could always use bridge-mounted piezos like my Variaxes. :D

Variax%20700%20-%2004%20-%20600HR.jpg

Variax%20300%20Paint%20Job%20Finished%20-%2002%20-%20600HR.jpg