Learning Curve

Smelling roses along the way in no way suggests not trying our best. And each subsequent effort builds on the previous. There is great satisfaction in knowing we did better than the last time. But to seek perfection is a fool's errand. It will always bring despair and serve to diminish the effort made. I am happy walking away reflecting on what I learned this time and what I resolve to try next time, without apology or excuse. I became a much happier person as a result. As another point of view, to do only for the sake of money and/or to judge success by the amount of money is also doomed to despair. Our greatest satisfaction rests in giving more than we get.

well i never saw no check:) so what ever i did must have been playtime fer me:)

I've mentored a lot of folks for nothing more than the look of discovery on their face. That's often all the payment I want.

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates

The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

Striving for perfection is what makes us to learn, otherwise we would never improve or learn anything, the more we know the farther away the goal moves and the wider the scope of our knowlege gets. Without that curiosity we woulnd't have evolved to what we are now, contrary to what G.B. Shaw mentions below. I find myself attempting more complex carvings on each subsequent one I make ( maybe I'm some sort of masochist) and curiously enough I do not realize it until I am in the middle of it and have to overcome the difficulties that arise. I guess that for the same reason I tend to loose interest once I see that I've fulfilled the challenge, so I have to take as new challenge the fact of finishing them.
If we do not bother to try, we will never know and we will never grow. Some people are curious, some are not, some people take challenges others don't'; and that doesn't make either ones better than the other. To finish I'd say that I do not share Mr. Shaw affirmation; because for the same token I could say that knowing that someday I will die I'd rather put a blanket on the floor and get to sleep until I get tired of it.
This a theme I'd like to talk about in person in any of our gatherings.

The more you learn, the more you know. The more you know, the more you forget. The more you forget, the less you know. So why bother to learn? -- George Bernard Shaw

Toni, you have eloquently summed up a lot of my feelings about skill, talent, drive, and motivation. Well said, my friend. :clap: