photo test

Mike Jory

testing photo size.ooops

This is getting frustrating. I've uploaded several pics before. Always standard email resolution of 640X480 But today I'm cursed. :( I kept changing the resolution from a standard 640X480, down lower and lower. Everytime I tried to upload I kept getting size errors.

Attachments

• Tilt Top Table2.jpg
    Tilt Top Table2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Tilt Top Table1.jpg
    Tilt Top Table1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Have you had a look at Vaughn's Pic Posting Tutorial......?

Otherwise, what software are you using?

You should be able to adjust the compression on the picture, this will make the Kb the pic uses a lot less, but the pic will not look like it was changed.

I use a product called Ulead Photo Impact, I've used it for years and I like it, easy to learn, no huge learning curve, IMHO, but a powerful graphic editing software, if you want it to be. Heck, my Mother uses it, and she came very late to computers.

I know Ulead has a 30 trial download....?

Cheers!

Although the tutorial Stu linked to uses PixResizer, my photo resizer (and general graphic manipulator) of choice is Irfanview. It's free, and it does a ton of stuff very well. It's not quite as user friendly as PixResizer (which is also free), but it's way more powerful. I use it almost daily in my real job.

Stu's right about knocking the compression (sometimes call "picture quality" to about the 80% to 90% range. If you do that, you can keep the physical size up at 800 x 600, but the file size will be in a more workable range.

Vaughn, Stu;
Thanks for the replies.
I'm at work now stealing a few moments on the computer. Yes, I've used PixResizer on my XP desktop machine. But on my older Win98 laptop, I'm toast. I must use a MGI Photo program from Sony, or one other thing I forgot the name of. They're both good photo editors, but need to spend time with them to get a bit better. Both can resave the imgae with comprtession changes. It's that I'm squeeking under the 107.4KB size limit.

As far as the pic size, yes, I've stayed in the 800x600 format and run accross the quality issue. Two pictures of the same object can have different file sizes.
As Vaughn suggested in my Finishing post, I'll mail you the photo in it's native format and see what you can do. I will also try this agan to see if I can arive at more consistant settings. I just need to take the time to mess around with it.
Thanks Mike