The Slow Way by Choice

Bill Satko

Sometimes I am not in the mood to listen to the roar or whine of a machine and I take the slower but more enjoyable way. Tonight I was going to glue the face frame to the last "box" for my wife's hobby room. I am building a desk height built-in work space for her. I realized that I had forgot to cut a rabbet on the left stile of the face frame. This is the side that will be scribed to wall and in order to make it easier to trim to the scribe line, I put a rabbet on the backside so I don't have as much to trim. I had one of the boxes sitting on the table saw and that helped me decide to get my moving fillister out and do it by hand. It was a good way to spend the short time I had and it was good to work on my technique. If you have ever cut a rabbet with a hand plane you understand how easy it is to mess it up. You really have to have your technique down. My mojo was working and the rabbet came out perfectly (square). Not that it was needed for this application.

Attachments

• DSCN1442.jpg
    DSCN1442.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1443.jpg
    DSCN1443.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 53
i still think you should have made two of those benches bill:) i still have room for the other one:) nice work for sure and i too can hear the slick sounds well done capt..!!!

Thanks everyone. I struggle with plywood, so I try and enjoy those parts that are made of solid wood.

i still think you should have made two of those benches bill:) i still have room for the other one:) nice work for sure and i too can hear the slick sounds well done capt..!!!

I am really feeling the need for a assembly type of table, more square than rectangle and somewhat low. I am tired of moving parts and assemblies off of working surfaces such as a table saw or my planing bench. It becomes a shell game. What does everyone else have in their shop for this? It can't be really big so that it takes up too much room.

Thanks everyone. I struggle with plywood, so I try and enjoy those parts that are made of solid wood.

I am really feeling the need for a assembly type of table, more square than rectangle and somewhat low. I am tired of moving parts and assemblies off of working surfaces such as a table saw or my planing bench. It becomes a shell game. What does everyone else have in their shop for this? It can't be really big so that it takes up too much room.

what i have is to big for you bill but i can say that a set of torsion boxes like glenn uses and a set of those cross platforms are one slick setup. i dont have the torsion box but i made a flat top and only have one postion x braces like his.. love it when its not needed it can be knocked down and set aside out of the way..

You are second on the bench queue Larry, :D. Besides you have more benches and tables in your shop than most of us.LOL.
Bill, maybe you could build a torsion box to use it for your assemblies dunno, although I do not see a real need for it nowadays as with plywood and mdf surfaces are quite flat and stable if your table is well built dunno...