How many remember?

My wifes uncle, George Piccirillo was a victim of the Bataan Death March. After he came home he vowed that he would never buy anything make in Japan.
He would often say that his biggest fear was that when his generation passed on no one would remember the sacrifices all members of the service in WWll had to endure.

Well i had thought that my sons generation would forget but i had a very pleasant conversation with my son last Sunday.
See he and a few of his football buddies were out for their Sunday special all u can eat Sushi meal.
Well turns out a couple of tables away was a 93 year old WW2 vet. There was some banter between the boys and the vet about football back in his days.
Well my son got up went and sat with the couple and got chatting asking him about the part he played in the war. Then found out he was a inspector of Naval guns on battleships. Thats when my son opened up and told the vet all about his Grandpa and his service on the battleship HMS Rodney. He was quiet excited to hear the Vet knew of the ship and they had a great conversation together. I was delighted to hear he took the time to pause and recognise the vets presence and chat with him and more so to hear he remembered his family history. So i think we need to give credit where its due.
As the guy in video says they do need to be shown and taught what it was all about thats why history in my opinion should be a subject at school that is as compulsory as learning to read and write.

sent from s4

When I go to the annual Remembrance Day ceremonies, I am always impressed by the number of younger people who are there listening to the proceedings and wearing their poppies, and remembering things they never saw. When I used to go as a child, there were veterans from the First World War, but now even veterans from the Second World War are becoming scarcer and scarcer. Canada hasn't had a war since Korea, although we have been heavily involved in the former Yugoslavia and in Afghanistan, but when I was out with my nephew in his uniform, ordinary Canadians were coming up and shaking his hand. People still recognize the need for and the value of our soldiers. My own planned military career was cut short by my diabetes, but I had firmly decided in my teens to become an infantry officer and make a life in the army, as my father had. Sometimes I wonder...