Amazing pocket warmer!!

larry merlau

Well we all have heard about the colder than normal winter well i have discovered today a reasonable way to make a real quick pocket warmer.. i was drilling away this afternoon after i finally got in the shop, had to replace some batteries in the camera and then it was off to the drill press:) well i was almost threw the first batch of fronts and felt a this warming sensation in my pocket, knew i didnt need to use the rest room even though i had just had a cup of coffee but it sure felt similar and the wood wasnt all that spectacular either, so it wasn't excitement that was causing it..??? so i put it off and thought well it wil go away , well it was getting warmer??? so i decided that perhaps i should check it out,., i proceeded to empty my pocket, first off the cell phone nope that seems fine just toasty, then it was my pocket knife and it was also just fine,, still scratchun my head i reached in again and grabbed my nail clipper that has a string tied to it, so numb finners can hang on to it for cuttin line or nail that broke wrong.. it was just toasty as well but the next grab found the source of the heat,, i had put 2 double AA batteries in my pocket for the camera, maybe last night for today ??? but they were all but hot!! so if you need a warm pocket just add these items to a pocket and things get hot fast:):D:rolleyes:

Ha! Good thing it wasn't a 9-volt battery. :D

When I was a kid, we lived in the country. Like everyone else in the area at the time, we burned our trash, and that was one of my chores. Wanting to be prepared, I usually carried a dozen or so strike anywhere kitchen matches in my front pocket. Or at least I did, until one day when something went horribly wrong and the wad of matches ignited in my pocket. I got out of those jeans in record time! :rofl:

YOu very lucky that was not a lithium battery pair. They have been known to explode depending on the specific lithium technology. Guess what you had in your pocket short circuited the batteries. With the power density being achieved in batteries today its not advisable to store them in anywhere where they can possibly be short circuited. I have seen 2.300 amp hour batteries in 1.25v AA configs that's one heck of a lot of dc current when it goes short circuit. There is a company in France called SAFT that has been making hi density lithium AA batteries with cell voltage of 3.6v and capacity of 2.450 amp hour. In these batteries case they not designed for hi discharge currents in fact used to be that you would short circuit them for a short duration just to "wake them up" gets to complicated to explain the details.
There was a time (i been out of touch for a long time) that the airlines would not even transport these batteries due to the technology being unstable. Back in the day i did a bunch of research on this technology but things have dramatically moved on since then. Just take a look at the capacity of things like your cell phone battery. Still think we have a long way to go on battery technology.

Last edited:
ememery7.jpg
I usually carry four AA batteries loose in my pocket when I am out with my camera. Maybe I should switch to a microwaved potato. :huh:

I carry about 30 batteries in my LO bag for DMAT. Just tape the contact ends and your good to go, or just tape them in a bundle. DHS looks very dimly on smoke coming out of a large rolling duffel :doh:;)

I usually carry four AA batteries loose in my pocket when I am out with my camera. Maybe I should switch to a microwaved potato. :huh:

I wonder if the microwave diminishes the effectiveness of the potato battery, though?

potato-battery-LED-buzzer_img.jpg

And mounting it on the camera might be a challenge, too. :D