I need a new "dumb" phone

When I spun for the barn when the fire started my old flip phone was still in my hand. Basically flung it into the concrete floor when it slipped out of my hand. It has survived many drops but apparently winging it into concrete is out of bounds. Little pieces of copper or gold falling out are some indication that a reset isn't gonna get it this time! The main screen is toast and it calls whomever it is inclined to call regardless of what numbers I press.

I have an old I-phone but ATT gets whiney because I don't want a data plan. They said they will charge me for a data package if I use that phone, ever connect with it or not.

I'm looking for a phone that can't connect to the web that is easy to text with. People that like to text make me crazy since I'm punching three or four times for a letter and have never really learned how to punctuate or capitalize with the flip phone. I liked it because it was compact and didn't need a case, it did survive a long time of my abuse.

Some have a slide out keyboard. I don't think one of those is a good idea for several reasons, mainly it doesn't look like it would bounce well and my track record in that area isn't too good. Plus it is very tiny and my fingers ain't.

So something easy to text with, "dumb", not too tiny for somebody with hands like boat paddles and arthritis, and under two hundred dollars, way way under preferred! Had to pay $115 for my old flip phone with no plan many years ago and it hurts my heart to think of all the necessities I could buy like a new gouge or grinding jig for the price of a phone. If it hits the price of a new CBN wheel for my grinder I'll really be in pain! Fortunately I'm not drinking anymore because if I calculated the cost of the phone in my traditional manner, cases of beer, the cost would be totally preposterous!

Oh yeah, if anyone has a cheep cheep like a little birdie plan to recommend that works in the sticks I'm all ears too. Lots of cheap plans, all with gotchas that make them not cheap here. I got down to four cents a minute on a buy in advance yearly plan, sounded great until I saw "roaming" was twenty-nine cents a minute. Where I am at I am always considered to be roaming. What a deal! I'm on a dime a minute prepaid with rollover from AT&T, seems as good as any.

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts, and suggestions,
Hu

You can use your old iphone, as long as it is an AT&T or unlocked phone, with no contract with consumer cellular, cheep plans, texting plans and web plans only if you want. I have had it for three years with no problems.

Tom,

It does look good. Straight talk was recommended too but it looks like I have to buy a phone from them for their cheapest plan and both of them offer me all the service I need for thirty dollars or less plus taxes and federal fees I'm sure. I see Consumer Cellular has a referral deal. It is only ten dollars but I think it is easy to get. I'm going to look around a little more next day or two then unless I like something better you can refer me to them if you like. Ten dollars ain't much but it'll buy a cold RC cola!

Hu

Hu given that it's AT&T you should have a chip in it that you can move to any other AT&T phone which should activate it. Usually it is under the battery or around it. I've bought replacement phones for my kids on ebay several times, just make sure they are an AT&T (GSM type) of phone, I've seen several going for $20 or less for the flip style phone (used).

Darren,

A few people insist on texting me and are more responsive to texts than phone calls. I'm not a big fan of texting, I have had people waste an hour texting back and forth while they "didn't have time" to talk on the phone which would have taken two minutes! Never-the-less, something I can text on since I am forced into a replacement is the plan. AT&T won't let me use an old smart phone without a data plan, jacks the cost up almost double for something I don't use. Consumer Cellular will let me use the old Iphone that was given to me as an Ipod when my brother upgraded. Twenty-two fifty or twenty-five for more service than I have now and they actually get higher ratings on everything than the big four. Straight Talk seems a little cheaper but their website makes it seem like they are into game playing and gotchas.

Hu

Hu,

You can purchase a basic phone for $15 that you can put your old chip into. Just be sure you buy one that is AT&T---It will say on the package. Then, all you have to do is use it just like it was your old phone. All of the brains it needs is in your chip. If you want more than basic, look at the different packages (packages holding a phone for sale) and read the information about what it will do or talk to one of the staff.

I got one for $15 that did everything I wanted except show the time on the outside so I didn't have to open it to see the time.

Enjoy,
JimB