Hmmmmm - Should I ask?

The only thing I know about CNC machines is in the oil field industry the ones I shipped to Trinidad were HUGE.... they could do valves, thread pipe, etc up to about 16 inches diameter... the old beat up ones were $50K +

My son is a computer geek by profession and was messing around with a little one to do pen barrels... don't know if he's still got it or what... I would be interested in seeing one in action.... maybe we can get a video of one working???

I agree that a CNC subforum is a good idea. I'm not sure that making parts with a CNC truly qualifies as "woodworking" as much as computing. As a woodworker, I want to be able to say I made a project, not that I used a machine to make the parts for me to assemble. One can buy kits of parts that were made on a CNC most likely and claim they built the item, whether they have any woodworking skills or not.

Perhaps a more logical forum or subforum would be Computer-Aided Equipment; i.e., CNC, Laser or whatever.

It does wood really well - but it also does plastic, brass, aluminum, signfoam, styrofoam and all sorts of stuff. I have cut Marble and Corian.

I've used mine to pre-punch the holes in the leather for a pair of gloves ... Sure beats hand punching with an awl. ;)

But as Leo pointed out, CNC isn't necessarily just for woodworking.

Maybe it warrants its own complete area, like handtools or woodturning?

CNC Area

- CNC Systems and Builds
- CNC Programming, Troubleshooting, and Q&A
- CNC Project Showcase

Just tossing ideas out there. Ultimately, it's up to the Mods to decide. That's what they are elected for. :thumb:

Sounds good to me.

Here I go again with my big mouth BUT:

I am an engineer and I work in a world of symmetry straight lines and rigid logic - Like a Vulcan. I WORK with Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing or Machining. Rigid - straight - symetrical. Don't get me wrong - I do like what I do for a living - but I don't "WORK" - at home - I play.

CNC ---- Computer Numerical Control - is a little to straight and rigid for me to PLAY - at home.

To get out of that mode of thinking and into the FUN - you gotta get out of that box. Yes there is certainly a definate aspect to computerized stuff but is needs to get into the fan aspect and out of the rigid engineering aspect.

Disney - uses computer generated graphics in a TOTALLY fun way.
Disney calls it "Imagineering"

I will give a couple of links to people that I know personally

Dan Sawatsky - is a world renown artist. His works have won awards all over the world. Ask his about CAM - CAD - CNC - and he has NO tolerance for that discussion. Ask Dan if there are creative and colorful and fun ways to use CAM and CNC - and he will not leave you alone.

www.imaginationcorporation.com
Click on his "journal"
His blog is
http://www.enrouteadventures.blogspot.com/

My friend Jamie Oxenham is an award winning movie prob designer - also award winning
He is always looking for ways to make CNC and art colide into fabulous and colorful creations

My little place on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/arcticfox46/videos
I plan to enormously expand on that.

Dan would not get techie

He would call it

Magical CNC how to:

Gallery of creativity:

No CNC does NOT need to be a commercial soul draining heartless thing. Disney does not think so - neither does Dan.

Perhaps the world of artistic and creative computer aided design has not yet been revealed to you.

Make it a fun and colorful place with lots of curves and appeal.

Leaf-6.jpg

i was going to say to have it be just a cnc forum but the computer aided idea is good to, my reasoning for just one forum rather than three is to keep one going is easier than having it partitioned and not having any interest in one part of it.. or say very little.. for instance not many building but a lot using them

Actually I would prefer the "do it right the first round" approach and split it out. I know we've got some folks with lasers too and know from owning one that software can be a whole beast in itself. That said, I probably just created a whole lot of work for myself setting up subforums. :) Actually they are really easy to do, so no problem. ;)

Here I go again with my big mouth BUT:

I am an engineer and I work in a world of symmetry straight lines and rigid logic - Like a Vulcan. I WORK with Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing or Machining. Rigid - straight - symetrical. Don't get me wrong - I do like what I do for a living - but I don't "WORK" - at home - I play.

CNC ---- Computer Numerical Control - is a little to straight and rigid for me to PLAY - at home.

To get out of that mode of thinking and into the FUN - you gotta get out of that box. Yes there is certainly a definate aspect to computerized stuff but is needs to get into the fan aspect and out of the rigid engineering aspect.

Disney - uses computer generated graphics in a TOTALLY fun way.
Disney calls it "Imagineering"

I will give a couple of links to people that I know personally

Dan Sawatsky - is a world renown artist. His works have won awards all over the world. Ask his about CAM - CAD - CNC - and he has NO tolerance for that discussion. Ask Dan if there are creative and colorful and fun ways to use CAM and CNC - and he will not leave you alone.

www.imaginationcorporation.com
Click on his "journal"
His blog is
http://www.enrouteadventures.blogspot.com/

My friend Jamie Oxenham is an award winning movie prob designer - also award winning
He is always looking for ways to make CNC and art colide into fabulous and colorful creations

My little place on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/arcticfox46/videos
I plan to enormously expand on that.

Dan would not get techie

He would call it

Magical CNC how to:

Gallery of creativity:

No CNC does NOT need to be a commercial soul draining heartless thing. Disney does not think so - neither does Dan.

Perhaps the world of artistic and creative computer aided design has not yet been revealed to you.

Make it a fun and colorful place with lots of curves and appeal.

View attachment 80762

What Leo Said ...................:thumb::thumb::thumb::salute:

Actually I would prefer the "do it right the first round" approach and split it out. I know we've got some folks with lasers too and know from owning one that software can be a whole beast in itself. That said, I probably just created a whole lot of work for myself setting up subforums. :) Actually they are really easy to do, so no problem. ;)

yes Darren sir:) after i wrote it and reread it i knew i was gonna hear this and agree with you on that reason...sorry for not thinking clearly master:) grasshopper not ready yet:)

I think the technology of CNC is sufficiently different that it should be separated from conventional woodworking. Actually, I think this could go a step further and combine it with other disciplines, welding being an example. There are already various technologies posted in the Off Topic Discussion forum, why not combine them together as Miscellaneous Technologies forum. I suspect each may not justify individual forums on their own, but when merged with others it could be a goto forum.

Don't get me wrong from my previous post. I know there's a time and place for computer-aided machines. We have members who make a living creating things from wood and use such machines; for them, it's a business decision to improve their efficiency by having machines do some of the work. I've looked at CNC machines, things like CarveWright, and laser devices as well. Would I like to have a laser to play with in my shop? Absolutely! Unfortunately, my pockets aren't as deep as some. Now, if my PowerBall ticket hits.....:dunno:

I'm a hobbyist who wouldn't mind making a buck now and then but I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it, so I don't pursue commissions. If one falls in my lap, so be it. One thing I will not do is buy a machine that does carving for me and try to sell it as my work. That's dishonest, in my opinion. Like I said: If I tell someone I made something, I want it to mean something. If it looks like garbage, so be it! But, it will be MY garbage totally created by ME. ;)

Well its strange but 20 minutes or so the big brown truck dropped this off at my house.

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/desktop-cnc-mill-kit-shapeoko-2

Its a toy I know and I have planned on one from scratch. In fact I have made one several years ago but am at an age I wanted something a little more functional. Will use existing electronics for now..

Just a note to Bill I don't know where you have generated gcode from but there is nothing simple about designing code to cut real articles on a CNC. I guess if I wanted to say I rally made something myself I have to chew it out like a beaver does. Any tool is a tool and a CNC no more decreases the talent required than using a chisel rather than your teeth and fingernails. Between speeds and feeds as well as backlash, climb verses conventional cutting. Well it just never really quits. All that is really easier (and this is a maybe) is making multiple items. And thats after you have done the CAD, CAM and Fixture design.. I will never be good at it but hope to have fun.

I'm a hobbyist who wouldn't mind making a buck now and then but I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it, so I don't pursue commissions. If one falls in my lap, so be it. One thing I will not do is buy a machine that does carving for me and try to sell it as my work. That's dishonest, in my opinion. Like I said: If I tell someone I made something, I want it to mean something. If it looks like garbage, so be it! But, it will be MY garbage totally created by ME. ;)

Bill - believe it or not - I fully agree with you. I am a hobbyist also - that is why I think it should a departure from the rigid and move towards the fun. My friend Dan sells millions and millions of dollars worth of stuff and he also calls it fun. I also considered a Epilog laser as a hobby machine but I could not afford it.

My machine is used and cost me --- sorry guys -- but it was $250, and I did a little repair work to it - totalling maybe $750 - including the initial cost. Since then I have spent a lot on software.

I call it a self sustaining hobby - selling where I can - to cover the cost of my hobby.

I sell - and I do NOT say my work is hand carved. I do NOT hide the fact that I use CNC - and I don't trick anybody into anything. YES - that is dishonest.

I also DO NOT - "warn" anybody that I use CNC. I also do NOT warn anybody that I use a table saw rather than a hand saw.

I am a very techie guy - I design in CAD - and - CAM. I do computer generated previews and I sell based on design time then creation time.

My painting is not CNC - and I actually do - do a little sculpting by hand.

When I say that I made something - it is true - I make it. It is never robotically created.

There is no need to be sneaky or deceptive. It's all cool and fun. LOTS of times I will include a DVD of the process - including the machining process when I sell something.

My leaves that I posted about were made by me. YES - CNC. I did not create the model - I bought that. Then I programmed the machine - set it up, and cut 5 leaves - all identical. The painting - was done bu my hands and imagination. They hang in my shop with a lot of other stuff. They are not even wood. There is no way I would tell anyone that I hand carved them - but I did make them. That is not even deceptive. I could sell them and make a decent profit. Some day - I will. I think I posted a video on youtube of those being cut on my machine.

Several of my youtube videos are of things I have sold. Customers are FULLY aware that I use CNC. NOT warned - but aware.

I also sell bandsaw boxes, and cabinets and lots of other stuff that never touch the CNC machine.

I am sure - we can have lots of great discussions on the virtues and downfalls of CNC. It does NOT replace the hands, and neither process is better or worst that the other. They just are what they are.

I cannot do a beautiful hand carved and painted hummingbird the way a carver can do it. Heck - I cannot do that at all.

Nah - CNC - is not for everyone - but neither is my 1929 Stanley Bailey #3 Hand plane that is beautifully fettled and that makes a wonderful swooosh sound when I use it.

I can flatten a board with my Stanley #7 too.

I can do hand cut dovetails too - but I prefer my dovetail jig and PC 690 router.

I also prefer router cut dados over a dado cutter in a table saw. Actually, I sold my table saw dado cutter.

CNC - is my passion over all.

As a "lurker" I like what Vaughn said, ..."Maybe it warrants its own complete area, like handtools or woodturning?

CNC Area

- CNC Systems and Builds
- CNC Programming, Troubleshooting, and Q&A
- CNC Project Showcase"

Enjoy,
JimB

ps I am not going into CNC; I am really looking forward to the addition to the Forum.

One of my local woodworking friends is a world-class expert on Tudor architecture and furnishings. He uses CNC to do the rough carving of his projects, so that he can spend the last whatever smaller percent of time on the visible hand carving. Look at an example of his work, on his web site, and imagine having to spend the time to rough it out as well as doing the final carving. Part of the Tudor tradition is that each carved spandrel is different, so he has a library of designs.

http://masterpiecefurniture.com/getitem.php?id=92&classification=classification=1%20AND%20enabled=1

He also sells carved doors and lots of other very fine furniture

http://masterpiecefurniture.com/getitem.php?id=88&order=display_order&classification=classification=5%20AND%20enabled=1

Not much straight and rigid in his CNC shop!

Nothing wrong with straight, but CNC goes a lot farther, even in wood, than just cranking out kitchen cabinets!

Last edited: