200V Three Phase to 200V Single Phase....?

Stuart Ablett

The TIG welder I bought is 3-phase, the water cooler for it is single phase.
The power cord on the water cooler has just two connectors, like they would just be bolted on to the back of the welder where the three phase is hooked up.
Is that possible?

IMG_7253.JPG

That is the end of the power cord for the water cooler.
You can see the specs for the water cooler behind them.

I know on a 200V single phase set up you go from power to power and get 200V (over here it's 200V I know else where it's 208V/220V/230V/240V but I'm saying 200V because that is what I'm dealing with) and from one power to the neutral to get 100V, but on a 3-phase 200V set up, across two do you get single phase 200V?

Confused.... :huh:

Somehow I don't think so, I think I'd need a converter/transformer of some sort....

Last edited:
I guess if we hear about the Grid going down in Tokyo, we'll be able safely assume that it's not an attack by Godzilla, and rather is just Stu experimenting with his welder.... :D

OK, Imma try to 'splain this as simple as possible for ya...

So, you got these three phases, right? For simplicity sake, let's call them Ralph, James, and Pancho. (I don't want to overwhelm you with overly technical terms.) Well, the three phases got together and elected Pancho as the lead phase. Ralph and James are secondary phases. But that has nothing to do with it.

When Ralph, James, and Pancho are all working together, they provide 200V of three phase power. But if one of the guys takes a break and goes to get coffee, the two remaining phases are still putting out 200V of work, but only in a single phase. Why they call it single phase when there are actually two of the guys still working, I'll never understand, but that's just how things are in this crazy, mixed-up world. To explain things a little more clearly, let me offer this simple formula:

math.jpg

No need to thank me. I'm just here to help. :thumb:

Ok Stu u been killing me with the suspense.

Did you get the welder working or has it been returned.

Sorry for the impatience i have been dying to see how this works out for you. Looks like one heck of a machine. Hope you managed to crack getting it to work.

sent from s4

Yes, I got it hooked up temporary and got it to spark up, it works, but that is about all I had time to do. I hope to have some time in the coming week, but I'm really busy, and we had more than 8" of snow yesterday!