Ha!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I get email from scammers all the time. This one gets extra credit for not only being a scammer, but being a scammer who can see into the future. :rofl: You'll notice that they detected irregular activity on my account three months into the future. That's efficiency! Of course, the attached file the message refers to is a zip file that contains some type of virus or other form of malware, so the message simply gets deleted, but I did have to laugh at the stupidity of this particular scam.

Be careful out there, people!

Bank of America -Irregular Account Activity

Your online security is important to us. That is why we are committed tosafeguarding your personal information to keep it secure and confidential.

We detected irregular activity on your Bank of America online on 05/02/2014.For your protection, online banking has been locked because the number ofattempts to sign in exceeded the number allowed.
We are sorry to inform you that your online account has been temporarily lockedafter too many unsuccessful login attempts was made.
Unfortunately, if we do not hear from you, certain limitations may be placed onyour account.

To strengthen the security measures protecting your account, we have addedadditional security. will review and verify the activity on your account withyou and take necessary steps to protect your account from fraud.

Please find attached file above, download the above secure form, andfollow the instruction on your screen

All transactions are backed by our Online Banking Security Guarantee.
Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC.
© 2014 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved.

A good indicator that the email came from outside the USA is the date. If you read it in DMY format, it refers to today 5Feb2014.

In any case, I've been amazed at how many bank accounts and credit cards we have thanks to them there type of emails! :eek:

We detected irregular activity on your Bank of America online on 05/02/2014.

iso_8601.png

(I actually did not know this before reading that XKCD comic a few months ago...)

Good point on the date, Bill. I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't pick up on that.

And I'm with you on the amazement part. I get a lot of similar scams for banking and credit accounts with banks I've never done business with.

iso_8601.png

(I actually did not know this before reading that XKCD comic a few months ago...)

Working with Date fields in databases/spreadsheets/fliatfiles, that is always my preferred way of looking at the the date. If only I could stick to it when writing things down. Old habits are hard to break!