Outfeed/Assembly/Storage shop cabinet

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Like so many here, I'm a bit shy on shop space, so things have to do double duty whenever possible. (that, and I can always hear Glenn whispering little nasties in my ear every time I use my table saw for glue ups or finishing :rofl:)

My current outfeed table is a Formica covered re-purposed desk top. It's hinged to the back of the saw table and propped up with an angled brace. Not strong, and it looks ugly.

Here's a solution I've been playing with. It's based on a design for a TS (table saw) extension table featured in ShopNotes Vol 18 IS 106. It uses a triple laminate of MDF with a laminate top and Kreg Klamp Traks on two sides. Below are 4 drawers in which I intend to store saw blades, feather boards, etc. Below that is a sliding door cabinet that will hold my sanders and sand paper. (so far. Still evolving) Behind the lower cabinet is storage for my Leigh D4. Storing this beast has always been an issue for me and this seems like a good solution.

As always, critiques and opinions are welcome.

Outfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 1.jpgOutfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 2.jpgOutfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 3.jpgOutfeed Cabinet 2-6-14 4.jpg

What you've drawn up looks like a great solution for your situation. You sure have a good multi-purpose design there!

The mobile carts I built when my shop was half of a two-car garage were great then and are still in use now, even though I have more room.

Might have to steal this idea.
Just thinking it may be a nice feature to have a couple of eye hooks and on either end and put an eyebolt on the saw either side to ensure it stays in place when wheeled into use. I know casters have brakes but this would be an added safety. Hope u know what i mean by eye hooks.

Oh and rest assured you aint going mad Glenns words haunt me when i am woodworking too. He has a way of getting into ones head. But in a good way :)

sent from s4

Sweet looking outfeed Rennie. You could optimize the ease of access on the left hand sliding door area by adding a pull-out tray. The space the tray takes up is a small loss of space but, the usability of the rear portion of the storage area more than makes up for it.

Glenn's Pullouts 001.jpg

Kinda like this only not for pots and pans :D

as soon as the weather permits, Im going to start something strikingly similar to your drawing.
Only for me, Im going to put my Milwaukee router into it, so I have the extra router table.
Ill make it for outfeed, and put a sheet of 1/4 inch Masonite when I use it for assembly or finish so I don't mess up the surface.

Sweet looking outfeed Rennie. You could optimize the ease of access on the left hand sliding door area by adding a pull-out tray. The space the tray takes up is a small loss of space but, the usability of the rear portion of the storage area more than makes up for it.

View attachment 80816

Kinda like this only not for pots and pans :D

I think you mean the left side behind the sliding door? Actually, the jig takes up almost all of the 42" width of the cabinet so the front portion behind the sliding doors is only 12" deep all the way across. Do I understand your comment correctly?

Last edited:
I think you mean the left side behind the sliding door? Actually, the jig takes up almost all of the 42" width of the cabinet so the front portion behind the sliding doors is only 12" deep all the way across. Do I understand your comment correctly?

Yes you do. I did not realize the jig took up that long of a space ;-) This actually works to your advantage as the space is well used and you won't send items to the "Twilight Zone" that exists in the rear of 'too deep' cabinets.

Rennie, I like your design. I have a question for you, though. Where is it that you intend to use the dovetail jig? Would you use it on this table? If so, I wonder if you could set it so it is hinged and folds into the table. That would mean you don't have to pick it up. Maybe it could be set up a bit like a sewing machine table, if you get my drift. It could be placed so when the jig is in the operating position, the top work surface would be level with the top of the table so the work would be supported over its length. When it is in the operating position it wouldn't take up any bench space. Just an idea.

I'll throw some more ideas at you. Here is what I just recently did for mine. It is on casters and I also have outlets on three sides.

On one side I have storage for my compressor, tenon jig and my panto router along with a place for my vacuum pump and battery chargers.
IMG_20131124_101701.jpg

On the other side I have 8 drawers with full extension slides that I have everything from nails and staples for the air guns to sanding belts for the belt sander to some jigs and misc finishing supplies and my cordless drills. I also have my most used nail guns on a shelf above the blower exhaust as I also use this as my down draft sanding table
IMG_20131203_173021.jpgIMG_20131203_173105.jpg
IMG_20131128_074626.jpgIMG_20131124_102614.jpgIMG_20131124_102332.jpg

Thanks to all for the input. Good ideas. :thumb:

Under the "I think I can build it cheaper than I can buy it" column...

The top of the cabinet is essentially a Kreg clamping table
prd_88_1_300.jpg

This sells for about $249. I was sure I could build it better/cheaper, till I started adding things up.

Klamp Trac - 2 @ $45 = $90
Spring loaded clamps - 2 @ $32 = $64
Klamp blocks -1 3-pak @ $15
Sheet of 3/4" MDF = $35
Laminate - half sheet (if I can find one) = $45 (Full sheets are $95)

Total for parts not including glue, screws and time = $249.

Just does not make sense to build this part of the cabinet! The only thing I need to add is the two miter slots.

I went years without an outfeed table.

One day - I decided to grab some scrap 2x4's and a half sheet of sanded pine 3/4 that was hanging around in the shed.

I also had some 3/8 and 1/2 ply. Not enough to really do anything with.

I ripped strips about 4" wide out of the 3/8 and 1/2 inch ply

I cut the 2x4's so that I end up with height to match table saw minus the top plywood thickness.

I slapped it all together in about an hour.
Nails from Nail gun - ring shank nails.

I sanded the table top and put a few generousness coats of poly - sanded the last coat with 600 - then paste waxed.

It's CHEAP - really CHEAP - totally NOT fancy.
Totally functional.

I don't care if I scratch it, nick it or ding it.

I left the top overhang all around so I could clamp to it.

Had it a bit about 2 years now

LOVE it --- I feel really good about it when I look at it.

OHHHH - and I sometimes will use a full sheet of plywood on top of the table saw and outfeed table - I drive screws through the full sheet of ply - directly into the outfeed table. That makes an AWESOME work surface.

That's "my" outfeed table - story.

Thanks Leo, but I have the simple outfeed table now, I just want something that is going to do more than just support an occasional long rip. My shop is kinda small and I need the additional assembly/storage space. Hving it on wheels will alos be a huge plus.

Under the "I think I can build it cheaper than I can buy it" column... Total for parts not including glue, screws and time = $249. Just does not make sense to build this part of the cabinet! The only thing I need to add is the two miter slots.

I totally support your logic. Some things are fin to make whether we save any money or not. Other items are just serviceable and if a commercial product fits the need and price point, I will gladly spend the time saved doing other things.

I thought I would post the pictures of the almost nearly completely finished outfeed table assembly table storage cabinet. Finished up the drawer fronts today but have not yet decided everything that's going into the cabinet. It will take me a little while to figure out what makes most sense. Only thing left to do is the door for the Jig storage and then finally the back. I really like the clamp top table and have found it to be very useful. One of the most useful things about the cabinet is that it is on wheels. One of the things I like the least about the cabinet is that it is on wheels.
baresaza.jpg
ysugaqy3.jpg
3u5u7y7a.jpg

That came out great Rennie. I applaud your move to the "everything must provide storage" approach.

As to your wheel love/hate relationship; the red polyurethane double-locking versions won me over years ago. I initially resisted due to price but, one sale got me a set and spoiled me. I have a knack for adopting things that disappear from the market so, another sale came along and I picked up a few sets. Today a set of two fixed and two double-lock swivels might run you around $45 but, you will be glad every time you roll that thing, trust me. I do keep a shim on board since if I align any mobile cabinet front to back or left to right all wheels touch and locking the two swivel caters makes for a very solid surface. If I require anything on the angle, at least one wheel will be off the ground due to the garage floor slope but, the shim takes care of that in two shakes.

Flip Top and Drum Sander:
FT-2-Underside.jpg19-38-stand(24).jpg

The Flip Top has been in use since 2006 and the drum sander, while new, is twice as heavy and moves just as well. Cry once ;-)

Last edited: