Nieghbor Bowls

Don Orr

It's been a while since I posted anything and I got that reminder recently, so I thought I would prove that I actually do turn some wood now and then. Our next door neighbor had to take down a nearly dead Elm year before last. They called it Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra). I asked for some of the wood and promised to make something for them. I did some simple Christmas ornaments last year for them. I had secretly told the husband that I was going to do something bigger at some point so this is what came of it. Four bowls since there are 4 people in the house right now-2 parents-2 daughters. Sizes are in the 10-13" diameter range and are finished with Bush Oil. I delivered them just after Christmas and they were quite surprised and pleased to have a memento of a tree that meant a lot to them. The other children will get bowls made from the cores taken from these pieces.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Elm Bowls.jpg
    Elm Bowls.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 43
Those are beautiful Don. Great shapes and I like the color of the wood and the grain pattern. I snagged some elm once and look for a chance to get more. Good job and thanks for sharing with us.

Nicely done, Don. :thumb: I'm sure the neighbors were very pleased.

Paul, I've turned some Siberian elm found on the curb in LA, and it was very pretty stuff. Hard as woodpecker lips when it was dry, but great figure.

Those are beautiful Don. Great shapes and I like the color of the wood and the grain pattern. I snagged some elm once and look for a chance to get more. Good job and thanks for sharing with us.

Wish you had said that when you were here I have way more of it than I want. We used to mill a lot of it back home growing up. I made everyone in the close family a butlers stool out of it (12 of them) and they looked great.

Grandpa would always go looking for Slick Elm said it made the best firewood. I know I packed a lot of it into the house back then.

Don those look beautiful for sure you done a fine job :thumb::thumb:

Great looking bowls, love the rich colour of Elm, very envious of you if you have it in abundance, virtually all our native Elms have been destroyed by Dutch Elm Disease.
Only ever get the small (30ft high) hedgerow shoots these days that die as soon as they succumb to the beetles.

Have you ever heard of anyone using mulberry wood? My neighbor cut down a smaller one last summer and I got a good look at the wood. It was a beautiful red wood. I don't even know if it is a hard or soft wood, but I would love to see something turned using it. Those bowls are amazing.