Lee Valley NX60 Block Plane Comes to Visit

glenn bradley

My brother did some horse trading and ended up with this from an acquaintance who claimed he only used it once or twice. Except for a little shaving dust it looks like it has never been used. Anyway we were at dad's and he pulls this thing out and asked about it. We talked about it and he revealed that he had two large project around the house to get to and he wouldn't have a chance to even try the thing out for awhile. Asked if I would take it home and warm it up for him.

Well, I let on as to how I was in the middle of something myself but, if it would make him feel better, I would drag it along and give it a bit of use. I didn't want to lie so I honed it and used it to clean up some edges on some door frame parts tonight. Works mighty fine.

NX-Plane.jpg

Ok so since you have both, can we finegale you into a short comparison to the Apron Plane?

I drooled over those a little when they came out, but already had the low angle block plane and .. well yeah. Couldn't justify another :D

Ok so since you have both, can we finegale you into a short comparison to the Apron Plane?

I drooled over those a little when they came out, but already had the low angle block plane and .. well yeah. Couldn't justify another :D

The apron plane is a different anmal. This is the high falutin' cousin to the low angle block plane. In comparison to the Apron plane the NX60 is quite heavy. It could be used with one hand but, I would not prefer to use it that way. I rest my thumb on the front mouth adjustment knob in use. Speaking of that the Apron plane has a fixed mouth but, can be used one handed with reliable accuracy. The NX60 is 1-5/8" longer and about 1/8" wider. Here's some side-by-side shots:

NX-Plane (1).jpgNX-Plane (2).jpgNX-Plane (3).jpgNX-Plane (4).jpgNX-Plane (5).jpg

While Greg (and the plane) were still here I used it. That is one sweet bippy. It just feels right...like it belongs in your hand.

Since Greg said he wouldn't use it much, I offered to trade him for my Stanley. However, you notice who got to take it home. OWWTH (Oh Well What The Heck).

Glenn's car slipped in my driveway as he was backing out. Guess there was too much drool on the driveway.

Enjoy,
JimB

ok ryan, glenn has shown us enough differences between the two that i give you permission to go your own sweet little speedster:) and if your ship makes into port before you order it then i would love to drive one two:)

ok ryan, glenn has shown us enough differences between the two that i give you permission to go your own sweet little speedster:) and if your ship makes into port before you order it then i would love to drive one two:)

Awe I already have this one: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=47881&cat=1,41182,48942 and another noname block plane close enough to the apron I just can't really justify either at the moment (realizing that I have waaaay to much invested in planes already).

If I didn't have the low angle though... well it looks like the NX60s are currently out of stock anyway :D