What do you have for breakfast....on regular basis

Rob Keeble

Looking for ideas so what do ya all have to start the day other than a cup of Java.

I only get to have eggs once a week the rest its a battle.
For those who want to stay away from wheat and have cholesterol try a good bowl of Oats. Not the instant stuff but the real deal pure stuff.
http://www.bobsredmill.com/oats/
Usually have maple syrup and milk on it.

Looking for more non wheat ideas anyone got some.

sent from s4

I eat a variety of food for breakfast that most folks eat for dinner - namely vegetables. I like a plate of stir fried broccoli, green beans, and onions seasoned with garlic. Hash browns are another treat. I've even made a baked potato with all the fixings including turkey bacon. Top it off with a piece of raw fruit and a cop of coffee (or 2) and I am ready for my day. I stay far, far away from processed food and try to limit my grains to one serving a day. Toss in an hour or so of exercise daily and I am good to go.

Usually orange juice (daily) with cereal composed of oats , honey & pecan with fruit, or blueberry muffins (store bought or made by wife) during the week. On weekends it's usually blueberry pancakes or french toast with varying types of bread, both made by wife, or sausage & eggs.

Most days at least one coffee, then may switch to Hot Tea. I've been trying some of the greek yogurt, but most days it's oatmeal.

Are you doing a gluten free diet Rob? My wife has been, which means most meals with her I am too. It's amazing how much stuff has it in it that you wouldn't think about, like gravy and sauces, usually as flour added to thicken it.

Oats quite frequently with just some raisins in it. Otherwise Cereal.

Eggs maybe once a week.

Sometimes an Egg Beater omlette with mushrooms and a little cheese.

Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee....

Cherrios and raspberries with vanilla yogurt. Some days an omelet with bacon, cheese, tomatoes, sweet peppers, mushrooms and whatever veggie in the refrigerator. Maybe a muffin. Water, lots and lots of water. No coffee here.

Four or so cups of coffee....

:rofl: :rofl: You and LOML would get along well. I have to much coffee I turn into a squirrel and then a very tired squirrel a bit later.

Oatmeal or steel cut oats or other mixed grains are nice. I like the coarser cut grains generally although they're slow to cook - we solved that by getting a fancy "rice" cooker that has a timer function and also cooks cereal. You can set it to say "I want my oats cooked by 7:30AM" and bang at 7:30 it plays a little song to let you know your breakfast is ready. I like to put a little dried fruit (maybe a chopped up fig or two) on it.

I do fresh cut hash browns once every week or so (was doing it as our Saturday routine until I got them down pretty good, now just enough to keep my hand in). The trick is to not make the pile to thick (maybe 1/2" or so), a hot pan to start that holds heat well (cast or heavy stainless), don't move them until they're brown and crispy on the one side and then flip and don't touch until the second side is brown and crispy. I sometimes flip them a second time to re-crisp the first side.

My Grams hamburger sausage recipe is a perennial favorite. The night before take a pound of hamburger and 1/4-1/3C heavy cream. Spice the hamburger (1tbsp sage, 1tsp pepper 1tsp salt and a pinch or three of cayenne are good) then "whip" in the cream with a fork until it gets sort of "stringy" looking (you'll see). Refrigerate overnight and then form into patties in the morning and fry.

Once a week we go to the local greasy spoon for breakfast. Usually chicken fried steak and eggs with hash browns and toast for me and Kielbasa and hash browns for the boss. Sometimes corned beef hash (or the other place in town has salmon hash! Yum!).

You can also make Pancakes from a wide variety of grains and grain like substances. Rye, Buckwheat (which isn't wheat at all or even vaguely related), Millet, Spelt, etc.. have all been successful at our house. Loml has some egg and milk allergies so I've actually been making then "vegan" as well (like most vegan food a large application of bacon makes it better). The trick there is nut milks (cashews or hemp nuts blended with some water is fast and easy to make, we found a discount on bulk cashew pieces and just keep them vacuum sealed in the freezer so the price isn't to bad that way - from the store.. ouch!) and a little Chia mixed with some hot water for the egg substitute (1tsp mixed with hot water == 1 egg). Having a flour mill means that we can experimentally grind all sorts of grains :D

I used to make (when we ate more eggs and milk) a more "palatable" version of scrapple (palatable for people not used to scrapple anyway :D). Scald 4C of milk, and then mix in 2C of cornmeal while hot and stir until it starts to thicken. Add in 4 eggs (whisk the eggs first and then add some hot to the eggs and then that mix back into the pan so the eggs don't curdle) and cook for about 1m more. Turn out (should be thick like wall paste) into a greased loaf pan and let set over night. Turn out of the loaf pan, cut into slices, dredge in flour and then fry in a thin layer of oil. This is obviously a bit different than traditional scrapple :D

Toast with Avocado on top!

Yogurt with fruit and honey, toast on the side.

Six days a week, it's one mug of coffee, a Quaker granola bar, banana and a glass of cranberry juice. Sunday morning, I treat myself to three eggs over medium, bacon or sausage, toast or pancakes, coffee and cranberry juice.

Chocolate whey protein shake every weekday, then on weekends whatever strikes my fancy. A lot of times I don't eat anything until about 5:00 or later on the weekends. I'm either too busy or too lazy to make (or get) something to eat.

Whole wheat English muffin with butter substitute and 3 berry jam. Banana, orange...whatever fruit is in the house. Pizza or a cheeseburger are still my favorites.

One yolk three white scramble with a couple of spoons of olive and sun dried tomato tapenade and some shreddded sharp cheese added, plus four strips of extra thick apple smoked bacon. Atkins has it's draw backs, but bacon isn't one of them:D

same junk every day unless Im not at home.
Cheerios, 2 slices whole wheat toast, (sometimes Im bad and have a whole wheat bagel), a lot of decaf coffee, and an orange.
Preferably cara cara oranges, but they are only available dec to now.

One yolk three white scramble with a couple of spoons of olive and sun dried tomato tapenade and some shreddded sharp cheese added, plus four strips of extra thick apple smoked bacon. Atkins has it's draw backs, but bacon isn't one of them:D

I'd claim that "olive and sun dried tomato tapenade and some shreddded sharp cheese" isn't on the drawback side either. That sounds tasty; hadn't considered that on eggs before :thumb: