What do you have for breakfast....on regular basis

well i will have to continue to stand in for you folks that want something else but do not for different reasons,, my staple is 2eggs, hash browns and sausage patties preferable or steak if am at a restaurant and whole gran toast or rye with real butter at home. and yup coffee i believe in protein over sugar, i dont eat much sugar if i can help it in the syrup form or pre sweetened stuff.. i know they say potatoes are a sugar but i n my case i look at sugar as anything that is white granular stuff.. i eat maple syrup (real) and honey for my sugar prevaribly but like baked goods so i need to stay clear of them as much as i can.. and the cholesterol is below 200,, must be the farm grown eggs that have been cleared of the bad stuff:)

On a winter weekend,
First breakfast (early): good strong dark roast coffee and toast
Second breakfast (after chores, mid morning): hot oatmeal (porridge in some cultures) with wild blueberries of course, another coffee, not much else until supper.

40% of the time 2-3 eggs with bacon or sausage scrambled with spinach and/or roasted sweet potato, 60% of the time I make my own muesli. Lot's of water and decaf coffee.

Looking for more non wheat ideas anyone got some.

Home made granola when it's in the house.

(Otherwise it's probably got wheat in it, as shreddies, miniwheats and the like are pretty regularly in our cereal cabinet)

Sometimes a bowl of quick oats or cream of wheat. Boiled egg on Sunday mornings usually.

During the week it's usually a couple of english muffins with peanut butter. That and about 3 or 4 cups of coffee keeps me going strong all morning.

Weekends: spam, bacon or sausage and eggs with hash browns, pumpernickel or white toast and until recently Randi's blackberry jam :)
That is unless my grand daughter wants chocolate chip pancakes topped with butter and real (is there anything else) maple syrup from a local farm.

On the way home from church on Sunday a quick stop at the village market for home made, hot cinnamon donuts :bow:

How's this?

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif

Weekends: spam, bacon or sausage and eggs with hash browns, pumpernickel or white toast and until recently Randi's blackberry jam :)

Pardon me for butting in, but I've got to beat Brent and/or Vaughn to this one...:thumb:

MontyPython said:
"...egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam; or lobster thermidor aux crevettes, with a mornay sauce garnished with truffle paté, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam."

"What do you have for breakfast....on regular basis "

Being married, I usually have a bowl full of complaining topped with honey-dews, served fresh by the Mrs...:doh: :D

actually Coffee followed by a diet coke, if I eat, it's usually oatmeal or a whole wheat muffin with PB{peanut butter ;)}

Thanks all great ideas. I am suprised that so many of you eat oatmeal. Thought i was the only horse around here. :).
Jim grits as i understand it is cornflower correct?
Essentially maize meal. We do eat that for breakfast but cooking time and pot clean up is just too long.
Our term for it is mielie meal porridge.

Mohamad i dont know how you manage the egg whites, i could not handle one sip.

Barry stir fry veg in morning wow that would take me some time to get my mind around.

It goes to show how conditioned we become. I was brought up on Bacon and eggs and sometimes sausages. Toast and jam.

Some days cooked porridge of some sort.

What u guys call pancakes i was taught were crumpets and were made smaller in diameter and served with strawberry jam and cream for afternoon tea. Lol.

Took me some time to get around to having them in the morn but no time at all to have maple syrup (is there anything but real stuff) on them. But...mixing them with bacon????

sent from s4

Last edited:
Jim grits as i understand it is cornflower correct?
Essentially maize meal. We do eat that for breakfast but cooking time and pot clean up is just too long.

Similar, they are I believe cooked somewhat different and are usually coarse ground. When cooked properly they have an ethereal creaminess that is hard to describe. They are also usually served differently, hot sauce is traditional in some areas, "red eye" gravy (made with coffee) in others. If you do a trip down the US east coast the shrimp and grits circuit is interesting to see as the specific styles vary pretty widely.

What u guys call pancakes i was taught were crumpets and were made smaller in diameter and served with strawberry jam and cream for afternoon tea. Lol.

Took me some time to get around to having them in the morn but no time at all to have maple syrup (is there anything but real stuff) on them. But...mixing them with bacon????
sent from s4

Hmm, I thought of crumpets more like "english muffins" which are drier and poofier than most pancakes (although there is a lot of variation in "pancake" as well).

Bacon on the side with those :D. One that LOML hasn't cottoned to is pancakes with gravy. I figure gravy is good on everything!! Should add "biscuits" (not cookies as I suspect you were brought up with the word meaning but the american variant which is more like a savory scone) with sausage and gravy (doesn't really go with your no wheat theory though). Although I do make the hash browns stuffed with bacon sometimes (1/4" of potatoes, good crumble of bacon, another 1/4" of potatoes hard to go wrong with that). On the hash brown side I also make potato pancakes fairly regularily, basically hash browns with flour, egg and seasonings (pepper, nutmeg, salt) added - since no eggs the chia water mix works "ok" there.

Last edited: