Jalapeno poppers

Terry Quiram

I have to admit I am addicted to Jalapeno poppers. Before I retired I shared them with co workers through out the growing season. I planted at least 6 bushes and produced anywhere from 20 to 35 lbs of peppers a year. I even make them in the winter using store bought peppers but they aren't as tasty as fresh.

1 8oz pkg cream cheese softened
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup Monterey jack
6 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
1/4 teas salt
1/4 teas chili powder
1/4 teas garlic powder
1 lb Jalapeno peppers halved and seeded
bread crumbs (your choice of flavor)

Combine ingredients and mix well (we use a food processer)
press mix into pepper halves and press lightly into bread crumbs
place on baking sheet
preheat oven to 300. cook uncovered
20 minutes for spicy flavor, 30 minutes for med flavor and 40 minutes for mild flavor.

This is the basic recipe I started with. I have changed a couple things.
I mix Panko into the bread crumbs at about 40/60%. 40% being panko. I use the cheapest bacon I can find and cook 8 to 10 pcs. I use the cheapest cheese I can find. I use Mexican 3 cheese blend and haven't noticed any taste difference. I only cook them for 20 minutes. I like to mix up a double batch and refrigerate over night. These are great hot or cold the next day for breakfast.

To scoop the seeds and membrane from the peppers I took a stainless measuring spoon and sharpened the front edge on my strip sander

Use gloves. Don't rub your eyes, pick your nose or touch your willy.

I like jalapeños a lot, so I kept this recipee in my book of recipes.

Just a question from a foreigner if I may, what is Monterey jack? Whisky?

Sorry, I just found about it, another type of cheese.

Thanks, and especially for the time aspect{didn't know that}...So, it looks like I'll be enjoying some 20 minutes before the wife :D :thumb:

If you do a super thorough job of removing the seeds and connecting membrane you will reduce the heat of the peppers. I like the 20 minute cook time because it leaves the peppers with a little crunch.

On time I mixed in a little blue cheese. I liked them but my wife did not. So, no more blue cheese.:D

Hmmmm sounds a bit like the ABT's (Atomic Buffalo Turds) Brent showed me how to make.

Just thinking of what Brent did and transfering it one could probably put the mix in a ziplock bag cut one corner and pipe the mix into the pepper halves. Then just dip in the crumbs.

Will have to give your recipe a try thanks Terry.

sent from s4