A Morphed Box

Al Launier

What started off as a music box for Valentines changed to a jewelry box (Rockler cheap 18-note version) when the music movement arrived. Could barely hear it & it sounded awful. So, off to plan B: a Lift Lid Jewelry Box.

No need to describe the process as you all know woodworking better than I do. However, a few notes:
· Glen’s suggestion to spline-miter the box corners worked out well – thanks Glen. Will be using this technique in the future!
· Freehand routing on the drill press at 8550 rpm with a 4-flute end mill worked well to excavate the mounting surface for the mirror.
· Chose the elliptical mirror to get the red color to highlight the corners of the frame which is used to centralize the cover to the box.
· The small (5/16”) rare earth magnets to hold the mirror frame worked well. Tested them beforehand to be sure they would hold with the velvet in between. They are amazingly strong for their size!
· A pink crystal knob (Top Knob brand) was found at a local cabinet store. It cost much more than all the other materials combined, but added a nice touch.
· First chance to use the tools I picked up over the past year. Love the DW735 planer!

Took more pictures than I realize. This is what’s left after culling out about half of them.; harder to do than I thought it would be.

Thought I would try applying a finish on my next project (?) to get some on-hand experience, but my wife wants another jewelry box more color. What can I say?

Attachments

• Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-1.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-18A.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-18A.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-18.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-18.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-17.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-17.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-16.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-16.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-15.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-15.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-12A.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-12A.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-11.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-11.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-9.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-9.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 30
Latch batch of pictures. Time for a new project.

Attachments

• Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-32.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-32.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-31.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-31.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-30.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-30.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-28.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-28.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-27.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-27.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-24.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-24.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Valentines Jewelry Box  2-08-2014-22.jpg
    Valentines Jewelry Box 2-08-2014-22.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 28
thats some nice freehand work Al, you have done that before i think:) and that picture of a handsome youngster is that you a couple years back:) the jewelry box came out well.. looking forward to the next one..

Well done all round Al. Pics came out well.

I like the feet detail.

Have to ask why did u decide on the magnets for the mirror frame. Are you expecting it to be replaced regularly?

Your shares must be sky high after finishing this project. Now watch the next request come along. Once they see what u can do there aint no stopping them, just look at what Darren has to go through. Lol.

sent from s4

Al, that is a complete package. The feet, the mirror, the cut out (butterfly?) and yes the knob is a crowning jewel to the box. Also that color just pops on that box along with the jewel on top. Great eye, excellent box!!!:thumb:

..................................................Have to ask why did u decide on the magnets for the mirror frame. Are you expecting it to be replaced regularly? ................................

Thanks Rob. The frame was an "up in the air" concept", not knowing if it would work as well as I hoped, i.e. would JoAnn like it??? Plus, it was a way to secure it without other hardware. If it didn't pass muster, then It would be easily removed without affecting the velvet lining.

Frankly, I really like the use of rare earth magnets as I think they are a neat & convenient way to secure things in a number of ways, not just wood projects. Example: my work bench has metal drawers & whenever I place my 6" & 12" metal scale in the draw for storage it's a pain shuffling through all the other stuff to find the scales (they tend to hide well). :rofl: So, by placing a couple magnets on the outside front of the drawer I simply place the scales near the magnets & they're snapped in place easy to find the next time. Same with mechanical pencils with metal clasps, etc, etc.

Attachments

• Scales held by Rare Earth Magnet.jpg
    Scales held by Rare Earth Magnet.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 16
thats some nice freehand work Al, you have done that before i think:) and that picture of a handsome youngster is that you a couple years back:) the jewelry box came out well.. looking forward to the next one..
Thanks Larry. That is a picture of my daughter. She turned out to be a beautiful woman, like my wife.

Turned out beautiful. I like the idea with the magnets. Does the magnet to hold the rulers magnetize the rulers? I need something like that, for my rulers that always get lost in my drawer.

Cool box Al. I like the magnets solution to hold the mirror frame.

The only problem of giving a woman a jewelry box, is that she'll ask you to fill it ;);):D

That looks great, Al. :thumb:

You may know this already, but most music box movements are very quiet until they are mounted on something that will provide some resonance, like the thin bottom of a box.

That looks great, Al. :thumb:

You may know this already, but most music box movements are very quiet until they are mounted on something that will provide some resonance, like the thin bottom of a box.

Good point Vaughn. I actually wondered about that & placed it in the box to see what would happen. Same results. Plus, with the velvet lining, that would further mute the sound. It turned out for the best as JoAnn had (3) other music boxes that I wasn't aware of, or had forgotten about, and she loves this box. So, I'm good to go! :rofl: