Redwood HF with Threaded Lid

Nate Davey

At last months guild meeting, we had Mike Mocho demo thread chasing. Did an awesome job and explained things in a way even I could understand. I had a set of 16TPI, which are too course especially for this project, Regardless, I some how managed to get the threads and put it all together. I didn't account for the larger threads when I mortised out the hole, hence the gap between the lid and neck. The finial doesn't look that short in person and it would appear it needs a little more gloss. All in all a fun project. 22TPI tools arrived today, so more playing coming.
Redwood Threaded.jpg

Nate for those of us no familiar with thread chasing could explain a little bit of it.

I presume you refering to putting a thread in the top of your hollow form for the finial to thread into.
But given the finial is going to be mounted in that location, why a thread over a standard non threaded hole and just glue in.?

Nice form and wood by the way.

sent from s4

Rob, in short, thread chasing is using hand tools to cut threads into wood. As to why I did it on this piece, well, no real reason. Just learned it and wanted to give it a shot. :)

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Looks sweet, Nate. Looking forward to seeing it in person before too long.

Rob, in general, finials are not glued onto hollow forms. Threading them is done mostly as a challenge. (And also to keep the hollow from leaking out.) :D

Looks sweet, Nate. Looking forward to seeing it in person before too long.

Rob, in general, finials are not glued onto hollow forms. Threading them is done mostly as a challenge. (And also to keep the hollow from leaking out.) :D

Now that's what I need, a finial to keep my brains from leaking out of my hollow form.

That is a beautiful piece. If you had not berated yourself, everyone would have thought the gap was part of the design...It really goes well with the convolutions of the finial.

Enjoy,
JimB